May have killed a cat, do I tell?

(24 Posts)
Mutley77 Fri 05-Jul-13 14:37:54

Please phone. We had a cat who went missing and I honestly felt sick with worry not knowing where he was - up until we found him after a few days (someone had "taken him in" as he didn't have a collar and seriously not let him out - I was livid!!!!). They had let the local vet know but not taken him in to have his chip scanned so obviously no-one let us know that he had been found as they didn't know he was ours.

The same cat got run over a few weeks after being returned sad - he had an adventurous streak and somehow just didn't seem like he was meant to be.

Anyway it was much quicker and easier to come to terms with the latter bizarrely - the vet rang and told me at work, I was so upset but it was over and done with very quickly. Easier for my children too.

Even if it wasn't the right cat or there is no evidence where he is or if he died, it would have meant a lot to me that someone at least tried to help me work out where my cat was. So I think you shoudl ring.

SacreBlue Fri 05-Jul-13 14:14:07

One of my cats is currently missing (not you as loads of people have cats near me!)

We are still missing him and (secretly) hoping he returns. We would much rather know if he had been knocked down as not knowing is worse.

On the other hand I saw a cat get run over and dash back home (I followed as the driver didn't stop either) I told the owner what happened and one trip to the vet later it was declared fine shock I don't know how as I saw the wheel go right over but cats I think can be pretty robust.

Tbh tho, kids or not, I think it's bad form not to stop if you've hit something. It wasn't even my cat that person above hit but I was livid that the driver knew they hit it (as slowed after hitting it) but didn't stop to see if it was ok.

moggle Fri 05-Jul-13 13:59:09

Yes please phone them, as a cat owner I'd want to know. It's not better not knowing, I promise. Even though they still won't know for sure what happened, as it might not have been their cat you hit, they can still do with the information what they want to.
If you were driving slowly and he darted out there's nothing you could have done, they will understand that I'm sure. Also if you're able to tell them where it happened they may want to go and have another look under bushes etc to see if they can find his body.

aliasjoey Fri 05-Jul-13 13:54:57

Our cat went missing years ago and never came home. I really wish we knew what had happened to him, even if it was bad news. It's better than not knowing.

Closure, and all that.

As a cat owner, I would want to know, even if you're not sure it was their cat. Please let us know what you decide to do.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

facedontfit Fri 05-Jul-13 13:40:12

Please phone them.

Perhaps Mon 01-Jul-13 15:42:06

My old boy went out one day 3 years ago, and never came back, put posters up, tried all the vets and rescue homes in our area, if something had happened to him horrid as it may be, I would rather have known, part of me still expects him to come waltzing in as though nothing is wrong sad

heavenmum28 Mon 01-Jul-13 15:29:30

My cat has been missing for 3 months now. And its the not knowing that hurts the most. If some one rang me or knocked on my door and told me they think they have killed my cat I would be mad for a little while. But also relieved to finally know what has happened to him. I like to think some one has taken him in and hes being well lokked after. But the truth is he could be dead. I just dont know. And it hurts me still every day. You see I got the cat after me and my partner decided to have no more kids. I still wanted another but I agreed still. So I got a kitten for the kids but mostly for me. He was my baby. We now have a 6 month old so chances are he got fed up of a crying baby and ran away. Drifting away from my point. You will probably get screamed at for a little while. But its better they know xx

quietlysuggests Tue 25-Jun-13 22:50:18

food for thought, thanks everyone.
I think I will probably call them.

peggotty Tue 25-Jun-13 21:26:53

Yes you must tell them, absolutely!

maresedotes Tue 25-Jun-13 21:23:15

I would have to phone. I know it's a bit vague but you have to tell them. May help them with their search (area, not you).

Floralnomad Tue 25-Jun-13 21:21:52

I wouldn't call because at the moment they simply have a missing cat , sad but a fact of life with cats if you let them out . If you tell them you hit a cat and it ran off they then have to live with having a missing cat that has potentially died a drawn out horrible death ,injured and alone . I think I'd rather just have a missing cat

Methe Tue 25-Jun-13 21:21:08

In your situation I probably wouldn't do anything. You don't know you hit the cat and your quite right it's better for them imagining it having been adopted by a nice family than dying injured in a ditch somewhere and if you did hit it is undoubtably dead now.

I ran over a cat a couple of years ago and told the owner immediately and all I got for doing the right thing was a mouthful of abuse on my own doorstep by the owners cretin boyfriend.

I'm in the position of the cat-owner at the moment, as our cat (much-loved, much-missed 6 years old) disappeared on 11th June on our very quiet residential road. We're desperate to know what has happened to her, and have recently put up posters in the area asking for her return or any info.

Really, genuinely, I urge you to ring the owners (whoever they are) and explain. If someone were to ring me with any news I'd be forever grateful that they'd answered my unanswered questions. It's keeping me awake night after night wondering if our cat is trapped somewhere or suffering. Much kinder to know for sure.

I feel for you, as it must feel upsetting thinking about ringing with bad news.

All the best.

PosyNarker Tue 25-Jun-13 21:15:13

10 is not that old so yes, could still dash out. I think you should call.

LEMisdisappointed Tue 25-Jun-13 21:14:51

I think don't tell them, cats when ill or injured tend to take themselves away from home, some say the go away to die sad If you tell them, they wont 100% know it was their cat and what happened to it afterwards. So they wont be any the wiser if you tell them, they will just be worrying that the poor thing died in agony somewhere.

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Jun-13 21:11:15

Our cat is 11 and can still move quite fast. Ten isn't really that old for a cat.

I think you need to be brave & call the number.

quietlysuggests Tue 25-Jun-13 21:07:50

There is a photo and it could be, but it dashed in front of my car and was gone in a flash, so generally brown ish is all I could say.
But they live 2 streets away and there aren't many cats around here.
The posters say it was an old cat - 10 years old - can old cats dart and dash in front of cars? Can they still move fast?

CrowsLanding Tue 25-Jun-13 21:06:16

You must tell the owner, its not right not to. A year ago my cat went missing after four days we put missing posters up, we were worried sick about him. The next day someone called to say he had been hit by a car and showed me where he was, it was awful, although I didn't want to hear the news I was pleased we knew what had happened and we could bring him home and bury him. It would have been awful if I never found out what had happened to him sad

MrsWolowitz Tue 25-Jun-13 20:57:19

Was there a photo of the missing puss? Did it look like the one you hit?

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Jun-13 20:57:12

If it was my cat, I would rather know what had happened to it than be left forever wondering.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 25-Jun-13 20:57:03

Is it the same colour cat? If so I'd ring and tell them as the not knowing when a cat doesn't come back is awful. There really shouldn't be any aggression, if you have a cat sadly it getting run over is a risk you take.

quietlysuggests Tue 25-Jun-13 20:52:19

I recently was driving slowly down my (quiet) street.
A cat darted out in from of me and there was a bump.
I saw it run away in my rear view mirror.
I kept driving as I was close to home and had children but walked back up the road as I couldn't believe it had actually not been killed. I looked in gardens, under cars etc but couldn't see it so thought it must have been ok after all.

Now I see that someone has put up pictures of their missing cat. Missing since the day I bumped it the cat. The note says it is an old friendly cat and someone may have taken it in and please could they have her back.

I don't have cats so can only guess which is worse/ better: To imagine your cat has chosen another house; to think someone is holding your cat; to have a stranger tell you that they may have killed your cat but they aren't sure.

I am on the verge of phoning the number, my DH says not to as it would be better for the family to think of their beloved cat having a lovely life somewhere. Plus he doesn't want me to face any aggression etc

What would you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now