leave DD asleep or wake her really early?

(27 Posts)
mckenzie Sat 22-Jun-13 20:47:34

I'm tired so i'm being feeble about making this decision myself and need your help please.

DS going on away with school tomorrow and we need to leave here at 5am to drop him at meeting place.
Dh is away.
DD had a really late night last night (midnight late smile) and consequently is shattered.

Do i wake her at the last minute and carry her to the car?
or
Do i leave her asleep with a note outside her bedroom door with my mobile number on it and telling her where I've gone in the unlikely event she wakes? She will know where I am anyway. She knows DS is going away tomorrow.

DD doesn't normally wake before 7/7.30 although as it was a very late night last night I would expect it to be later tomorrow.
I will only be 5 minutes away.
But..
she'll be home alone.

WWYD

How old is she?

MrsLettuce Sat 22-Jun-13 20:49:02

How old is she?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 22-Jun-13 20:50:43

Age is important here OP.

HerrenaHarridan Sat 22-Jun-13 20:51:54

Wtf!?!

Is she old enough to read?

iheartdusty Sat 22-Jun-13 20:55:08

unless she is over 10 I would say you must take her. Any younger and she could easily be too disoriented to read a note, or just scared. And that's leaving aside all that could happen (such as you having a car accident and not being able to get back within a few minutes).

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 22-Jun-13 20:59:53

if she was up past 12 pm last night and can read she is probably old enough to be left alone with a note...

mckenzie Sat 22-Jun-13 21:18:55

sorry. Stupidly forgot to say that she's 8. (Told you i was tired!)
Last night was a one off, she's normally in bed at 8.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 22-Jun-13 21:20:24

I wouldn't leave my 8 yo alone she would freak out, carry her to the car.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 22-Jun-13 21:21:23

No. 8's too young IMO.

LEMisdisappointed Sat 22-Jun-13 21:24:33

carry to the car and WHY was she up until midnight?

conorsrockers Sat 22-Jun-13 21:28:31

Only you know whether she would be cool with this or not. These things happen - sometimes kids are up that late for whatever reason. It's YOU that needs to feel comfortable with it. I'd be surprised if you got any advice that didn't go along the lines of 'what would you do if the house burnt down while you were away....' on here.

mckenzie Sat 22-Jun-13 21:28:57

It's difficult to know how to read your question LEM. Are you making conversation or being judgmental?

MissStrawberry Sat 22-Jun-13 21:32:35

Take her of course!

MissStrawberry Sat 22-Jun-13 21:33:28

Shame you didn't ask hours ago as I would have suggested you send her to a friend or relative for a sleepover so she could stay in bed getting the sleep she needs.

heidihole Sat 22-Jun-13 21:34:03

how long will you be gone?

Svrider Sat 22-Jun-13 21:35:55

I wouldn't leave her tbh

Sirzy Sat 22-Jun-13 21:38:09

If a child is young enough that they can be carried to the car they are too young to be left at home alone!

MirandaWest Sat 22-Jun-13 21:38:44

My DD is 7 but nearly 8 and in those circumstances I wouldn't leave her. If she did wake (possibly as we left the house as I doubt we'd be silent) she would probably get very upset and I hate that to happen. She probably wouldn't wake bit on the off chance she did I wouldn't want her to be upset. She'd also probably want to say goodbye to DS.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sat 22-Jun-13 21:40:27

If she was my DD and I thought she would be fine if she did wake up, I'd leave her. 8 is old enough to be left for 20 mins. Only you know how she'd react if she did wake up.

Incidentally, my friend did the same with her two this morning (boys - 7 & 9), her DH unexpectedly needed picking up & the boys were still asleep so she left a note for them if they woke up - they were still fast asleep when she got back but both said they'd be happy if she had to do it again and they woke up.

fuckwittery Sat 22-Jun-13 21:44:05

I'd leave her with a note if you feel she is responsible enough not to be scared when she woke up. And keave a few notes, e,g, outside her bedroom door, on your pillow, ipon the landing in case she misses them. But If the meeting place is 5 mins away, you may have yo hang around to drop on coach etc, I would ask your DS if happy to be left with another mum so you can drop and run.

fuckwittery Sat 22-Jun-13 21:45:32

or, rouse her just enough to say, I'm going to drop your brother off, do you want to come with or stay im bed, I'll be gone for 10 minutes, just stay in bed amd wait for me. Then she won't be scared as she'll know where you are and has a choice. You could leave her with the landline phone rung through to your mobile.

HerrenaHarridan Sat 22-Jun-13 23:41:50

Hmm. That's right in the middle of yes and no for me.

8 is different for different kids

Would you nip to the corner shop and leave her in the house awake?

Agree that leaving a phone connected so you can hear if she gets up might make you feel better

MirandaWest Sun 23-Jun-13 07:24:27

What did you do?

mckenzie Sun 23-Jun-13 07:49:23

I came up with plan C smile and asked another mum to stop by and collect my DS on her way with her own DS. He was so excited about the trip he was quite happy with this idea.
I'd not considered it before because I thought it wasn't fair on DS but he genuinely seemed like he couldn't care less how he got to the meeting point as long as he got there grin
Thanks for all your posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now