Walking to the Wedding

(22 Posts)
Mullinsamy Sat 22-Jun-13 16:11:22

Sorry if I post this in the wrong area, buuuut...

DP and I are marrying next May, and doing it on a shoestring. We are paying for it all ourselves with no financial help. The church we are booked to marry in is in the middle of our local park, and the reception is a 10 minute walk down the lane (the only road you can drive to the church on).

It is a white wedding, and I have two adult and one child bridesmaids. I live on the edge of the park almost. It seems silly (to me) to pay for a car to pick us up and drive us to the church, when we could just walk there in 15 minutes , albeit through the park. Then it would be kind of fun for us all to stroll down the lane to the reception.

I understand that we would get a lot of stares/comment etc. My bridesmaids aren't enthralled by the idea (one is offering to ask an uncle to drive us in his Rolls Royce Phantom), but I quite like it.

Obviously this is a weather dependent thing.... What do others think?

charitygirl Sat 22-Jun-13 16:15:46

Sounds lovely - much better than driving.

kelda Sat 22-Jun-13 16:16:39

Sounds lovely. I walked to my wedding, but it wasn't a big white affair.

CbeebiesIsMyLife Sat 22-Jun-13 16:17:44

Are you having photos done? could you have the photos taken in the park, some really relaxed natural ones. then it may not seem like such a walk as you'd be half way there!

Sounds lovely! Poundland had loads of clear umbrellas last week so maybe get a few of those just in case it rains?

EMS23 Sat 22-Jun-13 16:23:58

I wasn't at the wedding but a work colleague did this and the photos were awesome as all the guests walked too so it was a big part of the day in the end.
I'd be planning shoes, length of dress and a back up taxi just in case though.

Mullinsamy Sat 22-Jun-13 16:24:25

I don't know about the photos yet, we really are on a shoestring. I was thinking of asking another friend to take some.

There will be loads of people in the park at that time; dog walkers, children etc, as it is a popular park and the wedding is at 4pm, I understand the bridesmaids worries about being potentially mocked, but it is a a nice area.

Mullinsamy Sat 22-Jun-13 16:25:19

Oooh! Good idea Bulletwithbutterflywings!

Helspopje Netherlands Sat 22-Jun-13 16:25:34

we went in a cycle rikshaw - £5 both ways - and fab photos

LittleBearPad Sat 22-Jun-13 16:35:05

I think it would be lovely and the people who see you will be friendly and wish you well.

Picturepuncture Sat 22-Jun-13 16:37:28

It'd be great. One of the nicest weddings I've ever been to they did this. Bride walked with dad through the village to the church and then everyone walked accross the fields to the reception. The photos of everyone walking together behind the bride and groom are lovely and it was a really nice, social, experience.

carolthesecretary Sat 22-Jun-13 16:37:58

Lovely!

We did this although it was only a 30 second hop to the Reception. Lots of nice photos of wedding procession though.

Mullinsamy Sat 22-Jun-13 16:41:13

I am going to show everyone's comments to fussy bridesmaids. You guys have convinced me. Even if it is just Dad, the 'maids and me, I think we could pull this off smile

Nishky England Sat 22-Jun-13 16:43:36

My friend did this- there is a lovely photo in black and white of all the guests walking back up the lane, the bride and groom holding hands - absolutely lovely.

It will also thrill passers by, share the joy. Well it would thrill me!

chicaguapa Sat 22-Jun-13 16:43:48

I think it sounds lovely! People in the park won't mock. They'll all start taking photos on their phones. I hope the weather is good for you.

Jan49 Sun 23-Jun-13 17:06:35

As long as the weather is OK, I think it's a lovely idea. Maybe just make sure someone has a taxi company number and money to pay if needed.

When I got married we didn't have a professional photographer. We had a small wedding and asked everyone to take photos. We got lots of lovely photos. Just don't rely on one person only. We also all walked from the registry office through the main street to the local park - about 10 minutes walk - to take photos and then returned to cars to get to the reception. A park is usually a lovely background for photos.

I did, and it was lovely.

BackforGood Sat 29-Jun-13 23:10:46

I think there's a difference between everyone strolling 10 mins to the Reception after the wedding, and you and the b'maids and your Dad walking 15mins to the church before the wedding.
If I was going to a wedding, I'd be wearing my 'girlie' shoes - you know, heels, glamour I don't get out much. If I was off for a mile's walk, I'd be wearing trainers / flat boots or sandals. The two are not compatable in my eyes.
Also, I think it would be awful to arrive at the Church drenched, with the bottoms of your dresses splashed with muddy rainwater sad. Weather of course being the one thing you can't plan / organise yourself.

I'm definitely with your bridesmaids on this.

That said, it doesn't have to be a hire car, why not just get friends to drive you in their cars ?

Carolra Sat 29-Jun-13 23:17:11

My cousin did this and it was bloody lovely!! About a 10 min walk including a relatively steep hill away from the church to the village hall. No one minded, people took their time and a car drove a couple of elderly relatives. Lots of girls were in heels... The photos are brilliant...

Alanna1 Wed 31-Jul-13 21:28:59

I walked. I had multiple pairs of shoes - cute sparkly birkenstocks for walking in (bridesmaids helped with dress). It was lovely. My dad's car was the back-up. It took much longer than we thought though. (We had a bag at the venue for shoe change).

Wineandchoccy Wed 31-Jul-13 21:34:09

I did this and it was great, church to the reception took about 10 minutes.

I had a pair of sparkly ballet pumps in case my shoes hurt but I forgot to put them on and tottered on my heels to the venue.

We have a great photo sat on a bench with a group of ramblers with there flasks and sandwiches!

Defiantly not worth paying £350+ for a car.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 31-Jul-13 21:36:51

I went to a wedding some years back where this was done - it was lovely and some great photos were taken by my DH who was "unofficial" photographer for the day.

I think anything that gets away from the ridiculous expense of the big wedding is to be recommended. Hats off to you for having a shoestring wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now