which job to go for?

(14 Posts)
schooldidi Fri 21-Jun-13 21:08:15

Dp is currently in the enviable position of having 2 jobs on offer. He needs the help of mumsnet to help him decide which one to go for (I am no use, I said I'd support whichever decision he makes)

Job one: Boring and technical but well paid. Involves working 6 days a week, leaving the house at 7am and getting home at 6pm ish (the commute would be 15 mins drive but he doesn't drive so gets the bus which is closer to an hour after walking to bus station etc).

Job two: More creative but about half the pay of job one (but still more than his current job). Only a 4 day week, leaving the house at 8:30am and getting home by 5:30pm ish. He would spend the other day per week doing childcare and household chores.

We aren't desparate for the money as I am reasonably well paid and currently dp's job pays only for his travel and the childcare costs associated with us both working ft. The extra money would be nice but so would the extra time together and him being able to do more around the house.

So which would you go for?

PatsysPyjamas Fri 21-Jun-13 21:12:01

As long as you are happy and secure in your job, then definitely job two. You don't need the money and will still be getting a bit more. It's far better for all of you if he is at home more, and better for him to be doing a job he enjoys. No contest, in my opinion.

PatsysPyjamas Fri 21-Jun-13 21:13:18

I guess you should consider if your circumstances might change eg might you have another child?

TooMuchRain Fri 21-Jun-13 21:19:48

Job 2 without a doubt

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 21-Jun-13 21:21:27

Depends on his long term ambitions. What offers better chance of progression?

schooldidi Fri 21-Jun-13 21:24:11

I forgot to mention some important facts.
Both jobs are fairly insecure. Job one is an 8 month contract, job two is with a company who we are aware have financial problems and could go under at any point (although they've hung on for 4 years since we first heard that rumour on the grapevine)

Interesting that you both think job 2 so far.

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 21-Jun-13 21:25:36

Why is it only 4 days? Is it because they can't afford to pay full time? Really hard to know.

schooldidi Fri 21-Jun-13 21:26:52

Not much chance of progression in either job really.

Job one might have the chance of being kept on after the initial 8 months but it depends how much business they have on.

Job two is very much what he's been doing already, just better conditions. Very small company with no management positions other than the owners.

schooldidi Fri 21-Jun-13 21:27:40

I think it might be because they can't afford full time, but also because they don't really have enough work for full time.

BackforGood Fri 21-Jun-13 21:27:54

Job 2 without a doubt. Can't seriously think that there would be any dilemma.

LalyRawr Fri 21-Jun-13 21:28:23

Job 2!

Still more money then he earns now and still able to see you/kids.

Job 1 is only eight months, job 2 may be insecure, but like you say has lasted 4 years and is probable to last more than 8 months.

tourdefrance Fri 21-Jun-13 21:40:46

Job 2 definitely. My motto is time is more important than money - you can make more money, you can't make more time.

schooldidi Fri 21-Jun-13 21:58:45

Thank you all for your opinions. Job 2 is the one I would plump for but I don't want to pressure him into it if he'd rather go for job 1.

schooldidi Sun 23-Jun-13 21:47:24

He's gone for job 2 but not until he'd spent a good week umming and ahhing about it, then making a decision and second guessing whether it's the right one. He's now told both bosses his decision so hopefully that's it. I just hope he doesn't regret it as I know he thinks the boss of the job he's gone for is a bt of a numpty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now