DD had a seizure on Tuesday night, I drove very carefully through a red light in courtesy car to get her to A&E

(37 Posts)

DD is ok now thank god but she gave me such a fright. She is 2.5 and normally very healthy, she started foaming at the mouth and twitching just after falling asleep. DH had to stay at home with DS who was asleep in bed while I took DD to A&E, she seemed to deteriorate in the car. It's only a 5 or 10 minute drive but I was so panicked there was no way I was waiting for the traffic light to change. I drove through very carefully and waited to join the flow of traffic and didn't go over 30 the whole journey. I am wondering now whether to ring 101 and explain to the police what I did or if to just let the courtesy car company know. We'll be giving the car back this afternoon. I don't care if I get a ticket or whatever, I'm just a bit concerned really about what to do. Thanks for any advice.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 20-Jun-13 12:11:03

The courtesy car company will just forward you the ticket and you can then appeal it.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 20-Jun-13 12:11:43

If you get one..was there a camera?

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:12:02

Thats what ambulances are for in future.

RoooneyMara Thu 20-Jun-13 12:12:06

I'm not sure but sorry you had such an awful scare. I can imagine doing the same.

I'd ring the police myself just because, well, I wouldn't be sure if it'd be picked up on anything.

I wouldn't let the car people know till you have spoken to the police. Not sure why!

RoooneyMara Thu 20-Jun-13 12:13:09

I'd think probably an ambulance might have been a better option too - I think I'd be a dangerous driver with that sort of thing going on x

Lifeisontheup Thu 20-Jun-13 12:13:45

I've done this when getting DS to hospital with croup at 3 in the morning. Nothing happened so I presume there wasn't a camera on that junction.
Do you know if there are traffic signal camera's on the junction you went through?

HeySoulSister Thu 20-Jun-13 12:14:08

Don't anyone ever think its ok to do the same thing!!!

You pull over and call an ambulance

Op you say you panicked. Not sure how you can be so careful if you are 'panicked'

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:14:45

I wouldn't do anything. Unless there are caremas at the lights you likely won't have been caught

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 20-Jun-13 12:15:22

Stop giving the OP a hard time.

There but for the grace of God go you and hopefully there won't be a "next time".

Scruffey Thu 20-Jun-13 12:16:14

I would do nothing for a start because there probably wasn't a camera.

If there was a camera on the red light, a ticket will be issued to the courtesy car place and they will forward it on to you. In that case get hold of a printout of medical notes (your gp may be able to access this, a&e visits are monitored for under 5s I think) and then you can appeal the ticket on the grounds of medical emergency. They will likely let you off if you have the a&e admission time. Don't just take the points/ fine - you were in an emergency!

Glad your dd is ok.

RoooneyMara Thu 20-Jun-13 12:16:43

I'm not giving her a hard time...at least I hope it doesn't come across that way.

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:18:42

Not a hard time here either.

Have had a 2yr old have a seizure - was awful. But 999 must be your first instinct - they can drive to you much faster and safer than you can drive to them. And if anything goes wrong while they on route the operator can give you instructions to protect airways etc smile

SorryMyLollipop Thu 20-Jun-13 12:18:51

When I was severely ill with meningitis symptoms, my H took me to a local GP who called me an ambulance. H then met me at the hospital. He got two speeding tickets, one on the way to the GP and one after.

I appealed, got a letter from the GP confirming the seriousness of my condition (had to pay an admin fee) sent it off and they dropped the tickets/charges.

I am sure the hospital would do the same for you if necessary. Hope your dd ok x

HeySoulSister Thu 20-Jun-13 12:18:53

I'm an ex emergency services worker, returning soon to same line of work

Don't want people thinking this is ever 'ok'!!

5madthings Thu 20-Jun-13 12:19:19

What scruffey said.

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:19:43

I do understand why you did it, but unless there are cameras you proably won't have been caught. If any police were there at time would have stopped you then.

Hope wee one is ok now

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:21:55

I don't think that is fair actually. It's ok to speed if you are in a terrible hurry? What if had caused a crash?

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 20-Jun-13 12:21:55

No I was actually referring to heysouls post although am glad you qualified your first slightly harsh post DeepFried :-)

Just wanted to get in there before the vipers.came to roast the OP wink

TheDetective Thu 20-Jun-13 12:23:25

I had to do it. Rang 999, no ambulance available. Told me to take him in the car.

What do you suggest to that?!

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:23:44

The reason emergency service drivers can speed/go through lights is because they are trained to assess the danger safely and to keep a calm head.

Someone with no experience of this without a big noisy flashing light andwho is in a panic shouldn't be doing it.

I am not replying to the op now, but to the general attitude that it is ok if emergency.

HeySoulSister Thu 20-Jun-13 12:24:54

How much further did jumping a light actually get you?

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:25:02

No ambulance avaliale for what?

They told you to speed there?

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 20-Jun-13 12:25:27

There's no attitude of that

But she was asking what to do.. not was she BU to do it.

Am hoping her DD is Ok.

DeepFriedRyvita Thu 20-Jun-13 12:26:20

No ambulance available for something non life threatening then take in car at normal speed.

No ambulance available for someone unconscious and not breathing - well that is a national scandal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now