Found out my step daughter (16) is having sex- should I tell my girlfriend?

(11 Posts)
wakko25 Thu 13-Jun-13 02:28:54

Basically have found a bit pill and condom packet while taking rubbish out. I know her and her boyfriend are old enough and I am pleased they are using contraception methods but my girlfriend might not be very happy. Should I just tell her? She may already know but I very much doubt it. Any thoughts?

burberryqueen Thu 13-Jun-13 02:31:51

no she is sixteen and taking the right precautions.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 13-Jun-13 02:35:58

Well I would, assuming she'd react reasonably but, especially if she wouldn't, she'd probably be unhappy to discover you knew and didn't mention it.

wakko25 Thu 13-Jun-13 05:34:51

Basically have found a bit pill and condom packet while taking rubbish out. I know her and her boyfriend are old enough and I am pleased they are using contraception methods but my girlfriend might not be very happy. Should I just tell her? She may already know but I very much doubt it. Any thoughts?

SanityClause Thu 13-Jun-13 05:41:58

No, I think you should mind your own business.

I knew, as a teenager, that if I told my more something, she would tell my father. So I stopped telling her anything.

I know this girl is not your daughter, but you may one day be in a position where she needs someone to confide in, so don't lose her trust, now.

SanityClause Thu 13-Jun-13 05:42:27

Told my mother

Roshbegosh Thu 13-Jun-13 05:54:49

How will you girlfriend react when she finds out you knew?

SanityClause Thu 13-Jun-13 06:02:58

You don't have to tell your girlfriend you knew. In fact, you don't know anything. You are just assuming, based on circumstantial evidence.

If/when your girlfriend finds out her daughter is having sex, why would you need to tell her what you had found?

The girl is 16. Give her some privacy. (Unless you have reason to believe that all is not well with her, and she needs help.)

Layl77 Thu 13-Jun-13 06:09:19

No, mind your own! She's clearly using precautions and over the legal age so don't upset anyone.

WhatALark Thu 13-Jun-13 06:17:37

confused
Why would you interfere with her sex life? She's 16, using precautions, and deserves some privacy.

scaevola Thu 13-Jun-13 06:40:34

Do you all co-habit?

You refer to her as your DSD. In which case, I think you do need to tell your co-parent. I do not think that withholding information from your primary partner is ever likely to be a good idea in terms of good communication and a healthy relationship. And I do think that, whatever the age of the child, parenting is better done as a united team.

I do not see any reason to prejudge what your partner would do, nor assume that between the two of you you would choose a path that is detrimental to DSD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now