Sick of my job/career ...

(8 Posts)
Catbert4pm Tue 04-Jun-13 21:50:58

I have done this.

You need to make sure you can manage financially - but I was amazed when DH calculated that my (stupid) FT job was costing us over £1,500 pm in childcare, cleaning/ironing and petrol (70 mile round trip pd). In addition to the financial side of it, me having the job/career I had did not work for us as a family (won't go into detail but it was awful). I had in fact been losing interest in my profession for some years so it was both painful and pointless. I don't miss it one bit.

However, I stopped work in December and am yet to find permanent work, although I want PT term time admin type work, so quite a narrow field. I am currently working as a casual employee in a school.

We are learning to live cheaply and I am aghast at the money/food we used to waste.

Although I am disappointed not to have found the sort of permanent job I want, I do feel I am a better wife/mother/person for changing direction and dropping things down a gear - and that is priceless.

It has given me time to become addicted to Facebook and Mumsnet, but I will tackle that in time.

I say go for it, if you can smile

suebfg Tue 04-Jun-13 21:43:48

I'd love to work in something that I was enthused by. I love travel and studied languages at University but my language skills are rusty these days.

WidowWadman Tue 04-Jun-13 21:41:44

How about looking for a more exciting procurement job rather than ditching the whole career?

isitsnowingyet Tue 04-Jun-13 21:40:53

Maybe try something completely different?

isitsnowingyet Tue 04-Jun-13 21:39:52

Mmmm. Not sure if that helps. As I've no idea what that involves or whether there is a move sideways that might open up more interesting lines of work? I've always thought that job satisfaction and interest are more important than money though. I work in healthcare and find that it is challenging and interesting with no time to look at the clock to see when the shift ends.

suebfg Tue 04-Jun-13 21:35:31

Procurement manager

isitsnowingyet Tue 04-Jun-13 21:34:23

What's the job you're doing?

suebfg Tue 04-Jun-13 21:31:21

Since having DC, I have lost a lot of interest in my worklife. I see myself as doing a job rather than having a career and I just don't have the motivation I used to have.

Part of me just wants to take the bull by the horns and quit and do something less boring instead (and take a massive paycut). The other part of me thinks to carry on with the current job until I just can't take any more.

WWYD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now