WWYD if someone underpaid you for babysitting?

(20 Posts)
expatinscotland Wed 08-May-13 15:35:45

'Another time I tried to query something and she said she wasn't prepared to pay me for my time while I was watching a film with her children as she'd paid for my ticket and I'd be enjoying the film!'

Don't sit for her again! She's a pisstaker. She only gave you the money after you texted her, and quite frankly, you should have stopped sitting for her after the cinema incident (and you say there are other incidents?!). WTAF? Next time she asks you, have plans/be busy. Delightful kids are no reason to be treated the way she does you.

You heard her add up the hours. Then she tried to stiff you and only stumped up when you called her on it. Inadvertent, my arse!

Repeat after me: Behind every cheeky pisstaker stands a mug. Let her find another one.

GW297 Wed 08-May-13 15:27:47

Got the rest of my money ok yesterday. So pleased now I said something. Thank you so much to all for your advice.

yawningbear Sun 05-May-13 20:38:34

Yes, good luck, awkward situation, hopefully she will be very apologetic, if not it sounds like she will have lost herself a great babysitter smile

GW297 Sun 05-May-13 20:35:49

I do need to do that! You're so right. Thank you for giving me confidence. The way I see it is that it's not fair on the families who pay me properly! Will report back on how she responds. Hope you're all having a lovely Bank Hol!

nannyof3 Sun 05-May-13 19:07:27

Just bite the bullet and text her! Gd luck

if she disagrees then i wouldn't respond, and i wouldn't work for her again.

look at it this way: if you don't pull her up on it that'll be a green light for her to under-pay you again and again and throw more shit your way.

alternatively you can let it go this time, but always go through the money with her. never leave without checking again. if she asks why, tell her straight.

time to grow some balls i'm afraid!

GW297 Sun 05-May-13 19:03:46

Yes that's what makes me less inclined to let this one go. What do I do if she says she did pay me the full amount?! I don't want her to bad mouth me as we know so many of the same people.Thank you for replying everyone. I know my friends would say similar things but don't want to text them because they all know her! The cinema thing is one of many examples!!! Her children are delightful, thankfully.

yawningbear Sun 05-May-13 18:04:40

I have just started using a babysitter recently and both times I was ridiculously anxious that I had given her the right money, I even sent her a text to check, so I would absolutely want to know and would be very apologetic. Just send her a text along the lines of Nannyof3 or Claude suggestions.

However I would also say it sounds like she is taking advantage in respect to the cinema thing, it is outrageous that she suggested you shouldn't be paid for taking her children to the cinema-wtf! So that would make me wonder about this underpayment also.

Jemma1111 Sun 05-May-13 17:52:14

I would get in touch with her today and ask her for the correct amount , and if she doesn't reply or makes you wait until her holiday is over then I wouldn't bother looking after her kids again .

Tbh it sounds like she is treating you like a pushover with regards to the cinema , stand up to the cheeky bitch !

bunjies Sun 05-May-13 17:42:58

And yes the cinema thing is downright cheeky.

nannyof3 Sun 05-May-13 17:41:54

What a cheek!!! She should of still paid u for the cinema!!

bunjies Sun 05-May-13 17:41:49

I wouldn't apologise. I would text & say it looks like you've underpaid me for yesterday. Can I come round before you go on holiday to sort it out?

as a parent i'd want you to tell me.

i'd text and say 'i just realised you have paid me £xx for y hours work. I'm sure it's was a mistake, easy to do. Please could you get the £xx to me asap? Thanks, gw'

as for the cinema thing - that is frankly disgusting and i wouldn't be doing that again. i'd say, 'well since i don't get paid to go to the cinema, i'm afraid that that really isn't a move i feel like watching. another time perhaps. all best gw'

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 05-May-13 17:36:56

I would have counted the money there and then. Had she had a bit to drink when she paid you? I would definitely want to know if I had made the mistake.

And I would not accept that watching a film with her kids was nto to be paid for - what if they had been ill/naughtly/hard work.......

Elkieb Sun 05-May-13 17:35:35

shock At the cinema! I'd be inclined to ask her to find a new babysitter! Cheeky cow shock

GW297 Sun 05-May-13 17:33:30

Nannyof3 - I was thinking of something along those lines. I don't think I'd have the guts to phone. She's quite formidable! Another time I tried to query something and she said she wasn't prepared to pay me for my time while I was watching a film with her children as she'd paid for my ticket and I'd be enjoying the film! Thanks so much for the prompt responses. If you are a parent would you want the sitter to tell you or not and if so how?!

nannyof3 Sun 05-May-13 17:27:11

I would say something like- Hi.. Hope u had a lovely time yesterday... I feel bad for texting about this but when i got home i realised that u had only paid me (£25) instead of (£50) and i was just wondering if u had realised??

Madlizzy Sun 05-May-13 17:25:00

I'd phone and say "Hi xxxx, just realised that you didn't give me the full amount last night. Shall I pop over?" Saves any second guessing, gets to the point and sorts it out.

jkklpu Sun 05-May-13 17:24:07

I'd phone up and say that she'd made a mistake - she prob thought one was a 10-/20-pound-note and it wasn't. Could you drop by for the rest at x time later.

GW297 Sun 05-May-13 17:22:47

I babysat for a family I sit for regularly last night. I arrived at tea time and stayed until the early hours of the morning. When they came to pay me I heard her add up the total amount for the number of hours I had done correctly in her head and then she placed some notes for what I assumed to be that amount into my hand. I put it in a pocket in my bag and not in my purse. When I got home I took it out and realised it is in fact half the amount I assumed I'd be getting (and I'd been there almost 10 hours so quite a big difference.) I find talking about money awkward but as I am fairly confident that she did it inadvertently I am contemplating texting her shortly as I am unlikely to see them for a few weeks now as they are going on holiday. Would you do this and if so what would you text?! Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now