I have completely accidentally found my child's teacher's twitter account

(69 Posts)
postcardfortune Tue 30-Apr-13 13:10:17

and read it all. I am dying DYING to show other parents (it is well disguised and I don't think others have read it as I am pretty sure I would have heard).

This is a Y1 teacher. She is very young. There is nothing awful, but definitely changes very much my perception of who she is.

Would it be mean to let my friend(s) know?
(I am a governor too, gah)

GoblinGranny Tue 30-Apr-13 13:42:07

Tell her that you found her twitter account and that it's open.
If she's 22, she's probably an NQT and has yet to understand how bloody nosy and invasive parents can be. angry
It used to be enough to live 15+ miles from work, but there's a whole new range of detection opened up by the internet.
I had one parent comment on my Amazon wishlist once, I had no idea it was open for all to view until that point. It isn't now.

DebsMorgan Tue 30-Apr-13 13:42:39

I am a governor too and I think you know the answer to your question. Would you ask the opinion of the other governors on whether you share the gossip information with other parents?

wannaBe Tue 30-Apr-13 13:45:53

I don't get this "teachers should hide their every private move from everyone, always," idea. So this woman's day job is to teach your child, is she teaching your child? yes? Is she doing it well? yes? Are you happy with her as a teacher? yes? Is she using her twitter account to discuss yours or anyone else's child? no? Is she using it to slag off her employer or otherwise reveal confidential or personal information about anyone else? no? In that case what she does or posts on her twitter account is frankly none of your business. And so what if she chooses to like Ricky what's-his-name, hardly gossip-worthy is it?

And frankly I find the "help her out by telling her to change her security settings," patronising in the extreme, as if she doesn't know about being able too hide a twitter account, if she's taken steps to not show her name etc then clearly she does have some grasp on internet security, a grasp which tbh at her age she probably knows more about than you do.

It's a twitter account. Yes it's public knowledge, and yes she has chosen to put it out there with pictures of herself on it. But that is her right as much as it is yours to read it.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoblinGranny Tue 30-Apr-13 13:49:25

'And frankly I find the "help her out by telling her to change her security settings," patronising in the extreme, as if she doesn't know about being able too hide a twitter account,'

She might be one of those fluffy, lovely teachers who believe that the world is kind and good and that all parents wish her well. She may not realise why she should separate her life from her job, and the effects of having her personal space invaded. Bloody parents!

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 14:04:11

Fancy even looking for it.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 22:05:49

Anyway, how did you completely find out by accident? Did you Chechnya her Facebook too?

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 22:06:36

Check even

mamaduckbone Tue 30-Apr-13 22:16:49

Why would you even consider doing that?Sorry, but I think that's a bit sad.

tigerdriverII Mexico Tue 30-Apr-13 22:19:49

How would you feel if she spotted you on MN? Unless she's a complete criminal, you should ignore it and force yourself not to go back to it.

cornyderpy Tue 30-Apr-13 22:20:13

you sound a bit stalkerish OP - even if you found her twitter account 'accidentally,' to start a thread about it so gleefully is just a bit weird.
What's wrong with Ricky Gervais's 'Derek' anyway? Have you seen it?

WTAF, OP?

A lot of my DC's teachers have children in the school. Some of them are in my DC's classes, so I see them socially. We often see teachers from the school in our local pub. I may have seen one or two slightly squiffy. So what?? Since when did being a teacher require a complete withdrawal from normal life?

charlieandlola Tue 30-Apr-13 22:29:57

Teachers are human too. Unless she is in breach of your schoool's E Safety policy, social networking code of conduct or her employment contract, then leave her alone. Teachers have a right to a private life.
Even if they like Ricky Gervais, the worlds most self satisfied smug twat.

mamalovesmojitos Tue 30-Apr-13 23:02:49

I would forget that I had found it. She's a human person with a life, not just a slave to her job 24 hours a day. What you did was creepy and I feel very, very sorry for all teachers who have to deal with nosy parker parents. Worst part of the job by far!

bbcessex Thu 02-May-13 07:43:25

Isn't Ricky Gervais's latest creation 'Derek'? I'd be delighted if my child's teacher expressed admiration for this.. I think Derek is a beautifully written is a great example of an dult with leag difficulties.. I can't think why that is anything other than a positive...

Adult.. learning difficulties.

Wowserz129 Thu 02-May-13 07:59:54

What is wrong with Derek? You are being ridiculous OP and need to get a life if this is what takes up your day.

BornInACrossFireHurricane Thu 02-May-13 08:15:41

Nothing wrong with Derek, in my opinion. Ricky Gervais has talked about why he wanted to portray an adult with learning difficulties and the way it has been done eg. tackling peoples perceptions of disability. There are some truly beautiful moments actually.

Your attitude, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

AnyFucker Germany Thu 02-May-13 08:21:00

You sound like a weirdo stalker

Get a fucking life, what the hell is wrong with you

Wossname Thu 02-May-13 08:28:03

How is this any of your business? This is bizarre!

noblegiraffe Thu 02-May-13 08:28:09

Teacher has social media account, expresses like for TV show. I can see the headlines now. You must inform everyone immediately so that they too can creepily stalk her.

sooperdooper Thu 02-May-13 08:29:28

Ffs, she's done nothing wrong, teachers are people too and tweeting about Ricky Garvais is hardly the crime of the century

I think it's really pretty sad you went looking for her tbh, don't you like her for some reason? Are you looking to get her into trouble? What would that possibly achieve?

musu Thu 02-May-13 08:46:11

I have a twitter account that I thought was private (at least that was what I thought I had done). I was mortified to then do a search and find myself and my tweets easily.

You sound rather immature to be a governor. If I were you and acting like a grown up I would have a private word with her.

Panzee Thu 02-May-13 08:52:17

I am a teacher with a Twitter account. I have deliberately left it public. I don't talk about work beyond the occasional TGIF and I try to remember not to swear. if a governor found it I would not care. I would not appreciate, as some have suggested, a quiet word suggesting I change my privacy settings.

I am definitely neither young nor naive. Leave her alone.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 02-May-13 08:54:36

Don't be such a fecking gossip. Grow up. Teachers are people too. Respect her privacy and maybe get a hobby

DebsMorgan Thu 02-May-13 09:50:13

As a governor I would not patronise any of the teachers with a 'quiet word' I would assume what I know to be true...they are all grown ups who do their jobs damn well and then go home and have their own life. Pretty much like any of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now