I have completely accidentally found my child's teacher's twitter account

(69 Posts)
postcardfortune Tue 30-Apr-13 13:10:17

and read it all. I am dying DYING to show other parents (it is well disguised and I don't think others have read it as I am pretty sure I would have heard).

This is a Y1 teacher. She is very young. There is nothing awful, but definitely changes very much my perception of who she is.

Would it be mean to let my friend(s) know?
(I am a governor too, gah)

HoneyDragon Tue 30-Apr-13 13:11:27

No. If she has gone through that much effort to keep it private than you should not share it.

It would be polite to tell her though.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 30-Apr-13 13:11:57

Yes, it would be mean.

Unless she is being unprofessional and talking about the children, identifying people, slagging off the school, etc, in which case, you should probably take some sort of formal action (not telling other parents!)

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 13:12:32

Give her the chance to make her account private. Poor thing.

Wishwehadgoneabroad Tue 30-Apr-13 13:13:07

No.

So she's professional (I'm assuming) at work, and now this twitter account actually portrays her to be the young (22ish?) woman she actually is.

And you want to try to ruin her career and her reputation?

Nice. (this is why I don't have twitter and my facebook is under a completely false name)

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 30-Apr-13 13:13:57

Just leave it. My son's head teacher tends to tweet about his favourite football team {yawn} grin

Branleuse Tue 30-Apr-13 13:14:04

tell her you accidently found it and that you thought she'd want to know that it is publically accesible.

Then grow up and stop being such a gossip

tomorowisanotherday Tue 30-Apr-13 13:14:14

i'd be kind too. tell her, or even better message her with something innocuous, and that will give her a hint that it isn't as secure as she thinks it is.

UNLESS of course she is slagging you all off, in that case i'd pull her up!

postcardfortune Tue 30-Apr-13 13:14:22

You are right and I feel bad even thinking of sharing. But boy is it tempting. I won't mention it to anyone.

postcardfortune Tue 30-Apr-13 13:18:07

I will not tell, but , it is published for everyone to see. You can hide your profile, she has chosen not to. When I say well disguised, there is no name but it does have photos of her. If you are a teacher surely you should be aware of that position.

And some of the tweets spoke of a huge admiration of Ricky Gervais's most recent creation . . . .

exexpat Tue 30-Apr-13 13:21:27

Teachers deserve to have private lives, and if she is not using her real name and has taken steps to be unidentifiable, I think you would be wrong to out her.

My mother was a teacher, at a rather posh private girls' school, so I knew a lot of the teachers as family friends - including seeing them get drunk at parties and so on. Some of them later went on to be head teachers of well-known schools, and I am sure that some of the stuff I know about what they used to get up to as young teachers could have caused them problems in their later careers, but really they were not doing anything that any other person that age might have done.

Wishwehadgoneabroad Tue 30-Apr-13 13:24:21

Yes, but you've actually gone searching for her? hmm

Surely you have better things to do with your time. If she teaches your child well and she's a great teacher, what on earth does it have to do with you?

By all means, give her the tip off that you've 'found' her account, and you don't feel all of it is appropriate.

Yes. She will be aware. Possibly she's not aware that she hasn't hidden it? How's about you help her out instead?

cruxible Tue 30-Apr-13 13:26:52

Not quite sure how 'completely accidentally' translates into 'gone searching'

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 13:27:52

Why are you so tempted to share it with your mates? I find that really bizarre. Like you've got nothing better to do.

Someone at work the other day made a snide comment about seeing me down tequila on my Facebook. I don't know how she saw it but, I promptly barred her and he hasn't spoke to me since. I can't stand sneaks.

ouryve Tue 30-Apr-13 13:28:36

Leave her alone. Let her have a life outside of school.

MirandaWest Tue 30-Apr-13 13:28:45

How did you find it?

I think a quiet word to say you've identified it so others might, and that perhaps she might like to take a look at her security settings, is reasonable. Any more than that would be unfair, assuming she isn't in breach of her contract of employment by having an account at all.

seeker Tue 30-Apr-13 13:30:05

Ick. Just......ick.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floggingmolly Tue 30-Apr-13 13:35:19

You're a governor? hmm. If your child had posted this I could probably understand; you need to grow up and get a life.

Movingtimes Tue 30-Apr-13 13:38:07

You sound pretty immature yourself, OP.
And where is it written that teachers are not allowed to have a private life?

pickledginger Tue 30-Apr-13 13:38:27

And this is why people don't want to get involved with school stuff. It attracts a certain type of person.

AmberLeaf Tue 30-Apr-13 13:39:11

And some of the tweets spoke of a huge admiration of Ricky Gervais's most recent creation . . . .

...and?

I found my DS's form tutor on FB quite by accident. She is a friend of one of my friends and since neither of us are teachers too and she is younger than us I wouldn't for one moment have thought she might linked to anybody I know.

I have to admit I didn't tell her. I thought about it but then I thought she wouldn't want to know that I could see her posts. She didn't do anything awful or name children or anything like that and I just thought that she should be allowed to be a private person as well as a teacher and not have this horrible feeling that I might have been checking up on her as I really wasn't. In fact, I have resisted the urge to look her up again even though the nosy human part of me is tempted on the very odd occasion (like now) that I think about it.

Personally OP I would leave it and forget about her or at least her Twitter account. I would also remind you of the rules of confidentiality in being a governor - you can't tell anybody unless she has done something unprofessional and it won't look good if a governor is caught gossiping to anybody about anything to do with school. If you get caught, you could be asked what other confidential info relating to school can't you be trusted with. (I'm governor too although not at DS's school).

lougle Tue 30-Apr-13 13:40:59

Not to be pious here, but as a Governor your main priority should be the good of the school and the children in it. I'm a Governor at a school and I wouldn't dream of doing anything to undermine it in any way, including gossiping with parents about the staff there.

You have a decision to make here. If there is something that directly affects the quality of education for the children, and in some way impacts on their safety or wellbeing, then you need to take it to the Head Teacher.

If it doesn't do that, and this is simply an opportunity for you to feel good and funny and clever for a moment, then you choose to either ignore it, don't look at it, move on; or approach the teacher, alert her to the fact that her profile is public, then ignore it, don't look at it, move on.

Governors of schools are in highly privileged positions. That position shouldn't be abused; certainly not for fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now