Son keeps throwing spoons on the floor whilst eating.

(7 Posts)
dadinthehat Thu 25-Apr-13 19:02:40

Stay-home dad of three here.

If you keep giving him spoons it becomes a game that only he will enjoy. Stop. Totally.

Tell him if he drops the spoon again he will not have it back, and stick to your rules. He'll learn that if he wants to use a spoon he has to stop throwing them on the floor. Don't give him the spoon.

bangersmashandbeans Thu 25-Apr-13 18:55:56

Just be thankful it's only the spoon he's throwing!

PoppyWearer Thu 25-Apr-13 18:54:58

Also I have found that he fares better with more grown-up forks and spoons (like his big sister uses). I think little plastic spoons frustrate him, he can't get enough food on them!

PoppyWearer Thu 25-Apr-13 18:53:41

My 20mo does the same.

Buy more spoons and keep them on the table out of reach, in a pot or cup.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 25-Apr-13 18:52:57

DS2 used to do this and tip his whole plate on the floor. I learnt to not put his whole meal out at once and have a half dozen forks in my lap ready to ignore the throwing and just quietly place another fork on the table. It went on for a couple of months at the longest.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 25-Apr-13 18:49:57

Just keep doing it. "This, too, will pass."

MissSG Thu 25-Apr-13 18:47:51

I have a 20MO DS, When he is eating his meals he sits in his high chair at the table and spoon feeds himself.

Every meal I end up going through 4 spoons as he keeps continuously throwing them on the floor after every mouthful, he is clearly hungry because as soon as I give him another spoon he takes it willingly.

I say 'No' which upsets him but he keeps doing it regardless. I give him lots of praise when he feeds himself without throwing the spoon, which is a rare occasion.

WWYD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now