What a wonderful list of ideas! Thank you. Feeling a bit overwhelmed, so it's really helpful to have a string ideas without having to think! I'll give them a go!.... :-) we do go to a David Lloyd gym here so will seek similar. Thanks again
I don't live in the area but suggest the following:
1) ring the local leisure centre and ask about holiday clubs for the kids: a weeks trampolining/rockclimbing/orienteering course for teens will give them some structure and they will be in smallish groups so may meet a few mates.
2) check out if there are any local yoof-clubs (community centres etc which may have teen pool nights/computer games nights).
3) get your hubby to social network to see if any colleagues are in the area (ok it's work related but it will be good for him to meet a few local faces and you never know, some of the local GPs may have families and kids too, it does happen!)
4) ask the kids what they want to do in the area. While you're at it, look at evening classes or pub quizzes or something to get you a bit of adult contact, whatever hobbies you like
5) go on a series of pub meals together to rate all the local hostelries, you all need to eat and sometimes chats with the locals can tell you lots about where to go/what to do.
Help! I'm moving to Southbourne, Bournemouth with my 16&11yr old daughters (not my 14yr old son, who is staying at school in Yorkshire & will visit in hols/exeats) & also with my GP husband we're moving in July from a N Yorkshire Market Town. I've yet to find a job & want to make friends, for us all. My children will have several weeks before starting school not knowing anyone. Any suggestions of where we can make friends?! Playground chat is a thing of the past....