baby sick on sling i have just bought!

(9 Posts)
k12345678 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:10:15

GROSS! Last night (late night closing) I went into town, to mothercare and bought a baba sling. they had one out on display to look at, and I picked up a box and purchased it (without opening the box). I have just got it out of the box .... and it has got dried sick on!!!

Should I take it back - bearing in mind, it's a 40 min trip, and I will have to arrange a lift, so not at all convenient. Or, do I give it a boil wash and not worry?

awkwardsis Fri 12-Apr-13 17:13:20

Take it back and get a decent sling instead. I thought babaslings had been banned tbh. Regardless, they are incredibly uncomfortable. Email their customer services. They were very helpful recently when I contacted them. Yuck at the sick though, that's grim.

I'd take it back to be honest. It's not so much the sick than the fact that if u wanted second hand u would have bought second hand and saved yourself some money, they sold a used item as new and ripped u off!

TimeIsACurrency Fri 12-Apr-13 17:15:18

I'd take it back, but call them first to make sure they'll exchange it for you before you make the trip.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 12-Apr-13 17:15:40

YY take it back. That's disgusting that they didn't even check it before putting it back on the shelf!

Plus as awkwardsis says babaslings are awful - see if you can get a refund and we'll help you find something better anyway smile

k12345678 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:23:55

yes, you're all right I should definitely take it back. what other makes of sling would you recommend as being better?

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 12-Apr-13 17:43:07

How old is your baby and what do you want to use the sling for?

k12345678 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:34:09

he's 4 weeks, and I want to use it for walking around the park, where the ground is unsuitable for the pram.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 12-Apr-13 21:38:35

If you're buying from mothercare then I'd go for a Close Caboo. (Used to just be called a Close Carrier if you have seen them mentioned before). They are a bit more expensive than the basic babasling, so if money is an issue, push for a refund to cash/card and get a stretchy wrap instead. Moby is the best known brand but there are loads around - Sa Be are very good value, only £25 for the basic one. Or you can get a Close Carrier from their website in last year's colours for £45.

Personally I prefer a "proper" stretchy wrap (moby or sa-be type thing) to the close but the close is very good too and is supposed to be easier to adjust, it has rings in the fabric, so no tying required at all.

He will probably outgrow these types of carriers at around 9 months - 1 year, but that's the same with any baby carrier suitable for newborns unless you want to go for a really all singing all dancing soft structured carrier (SSC). It usually in fact works out cheaper to get a stretchy wrap when they're little and then get a larger carrier like a mei tai or toddler SSC later on. Unless you get addicted to slings

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now