Replace car seats after rear end shunt

(8 Posts)
tribpot Fri 05-Apr-13 17:54:02

It sounds like far too serious a shunt to even be considering not replacing the seats. They may appear sound, and indeed they probably are sound but it's just not worth the risk.

PigeonPie Fri 05-Apr-13 17:50:20

Oh yes, it will definitely be on the other guy's insurance. I feel like taking him to the cleaners!

I was stationary waiting to turn right on a well marked right turn (dragons' teeth marked on the road etc to warn of turning) and he ploughed into us at probably more than the 30 limit.

However because no one was hurt, there will be no prosecution for driving without due care and attention [grr].

PigeonPie Fri 05-Apr-13 17:47:47

Thank you - that was my gut feeling, but DH was then saying that as no one was hurt and it was 'only' the boot which was damaged, that they might be ok.

However DS1's was in the boot at the time (he was on a smaller booster) as Granny had been travelling with us earlier in the day and it was the only way we could all fit in, so we hadn't moved him. Although, this turned out to be a good thing because he was in the middle with a proper seatbelt where there was still a headrest so his head was protected.

If DH had been next to him where there wasn't a headrest (because normally DS1's seat is there and it won't fit with the headrest in) DH would have got severe whiplash I think.

I've put headrests on the packing list for next time!

Right off car shopping (I reckon they'll write my lovely old Peugeot off sad) and car seat shopping.

member Fri 05-Apr-13 17:46:30

Replace on the insurance

tribpot Fri 05-Apr-13 17:42:15

Yep, another vote for replace. Glad no-one was hurt in the accident.

stuffthenonsense Fri 05-Apr-13 17:41:37

Without question replace them.

Pascha Fri 05-Apr-13 17:40:27

Replace them! Do you really want to take the risk? Does your insurance cover them?

PigeonPie Fri 05-Apr-13 17:37:39

I'm in a quandary about whether to replace the DS's car seats.

We had a rear end shunt (causing £3k's worth of damage to my car) on Tuesday 270 miles from home and I'm wondering whether I should get the boys' car seats replaced.

They are Jane Indy Team (or the more modern, can't remember exactly) and we've used them to get us home in the hire car as didn't have any other option, but I understand that the manufacturers' recommendation is that they are replaced.

I don't know! What would you do?

Ta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now