Invited friends on holiday - DH doesn't want them to come! oops

(5 Posts)
Bookaboo Fri 05-Apr-13 00:06:36

Kind of mentioned to some friends that we have some spare room at the holiday home we are renting in St Ives and suggested they could join us for a few days. They jumped at the invite but now I'm in the bad books with DH because he doesn't want them to come. It's not that he doesn't like them, he just doesn't want to share his holiday. We both work full time and don't get much time to spend with our LO, so holidays are quite precious and I can see his POV. I feel bad about putting us all in this situation as I really obviously should have thought about it beforehand and got his agreement, rather than just asking them (although I had thought they would take some time to consider it first!)
I would need to check with the person renting the house that it's ok with them anyway, so that might be one way to get out of it. If not, what's the best way to let my friends down gently?

DiscoDonkey Fri 05-Apr-13 00:12:26

Eek! I think honesty is the best way forward here. Just say you didn't think it through and that you'd love to organise a trip away together another time but this holiday needs to be just you, dh and dc

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 05-Apr-13 00:13:27

I am sorry, you can't come.

shrimponastick Fri 05-Apr-13 00:15:02

Oh no.

Agree with Discodonkey though, speak up and soon.

I understand totally how your DH feels about having the holiday just for you.

To soften the blow have a look around at long weekends away with the friends for the autumn?

Bookaboo Thu 11-Apr-13 18:57:33

sorry to disappear. Thanks for your good advice. as it turns out DH seems to have come around to the idea so I'm off the hook! (It may have been the two glasses of wine he'd had at the time I raised the subject!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now