Help please- No idea what to get MIL for birthday, she has just been diagnosed with cancer.

(8 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Sat 23-Mar-13 18:23:29

Thanks for the suggestions, she already has a kindle and an iPad is out of budget. I like the pjs, blanket and shawl ideas. Some nice hand cream etc sounds good too.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sat 23-Mar-13 18:15:32

Kindle, iPad or a ds.

LIZS Sat 23-Mar-13 18:14:27

Dm loves her kindle

CMOTDibbler Sat 23-Mar-13 18:13:13

How about a really nice cashmere shawl/wrap? Then she can use it in hospital or during chemo. Or posh skin and hand care things

twooter Sat 23-Mar-13 18:13:08

What about an ipad so you can FaceTime her and send photos easily for her, and she can have books etc for appointment waits?

HeathRobinson Sat 23-Mar-13 18:11:33

When mil had cancer, I got her some dvds of beautiful gardens to watch. She wasn't well enough to travel to them or do any gardening herself.

When she was in hospital, we also took some new photos of our kids for her to have.

Maybe a really soft shawl or blanket for when she's at home after chemo?

HotCrossPun Sat 23-Mar-13 18:09:39

So sorry to hear about you MIL, she sounds lovely.

What about a really nice pair of pjamas? She can wear them in the hospital for overnight visits, and they might make her feel a bit more comfortable.

I hope you get lots of good suggestions OP.

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 23-Mar-13 18:03:55

sad

She has just been diagnosed with cancer of the bowel, liver and lungs. She starts chemo a few days after her 78th birthday and I have absolutely no idea what to get her for her birthday. We are obviously all hoping she will get through it all but it's looking like a very grim path ahead.

She is simply the absolute best MIL, a treasure of a lady who will be utterly missed. From those who have been through cancer, or cared for someone who has, there anything you think would make life a bit more comfortable or special? She has been inundated with flowers as it is. Or should I just buy what we'd normally get her, like jewellery, scarf, clothes sort of thing?

I hope this post doesn't sound insensitive as in just because you have cancer you'd want something different for your birthday. I'm just wondering if there's anything that would make life a bit easier or have had lots of thought put into it.

Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now