move back to London or give it more time in new town?

(5 Posts)
moBou Sun 17-Mar-13 21:59:41

DS is 5 and DD is 10 months, so it wouldn't be the end of the world for them to move again, especially when it's not to a new area.

But realistically I know it's the sensible thing to give it a bit more time here. I've been up to London a couple of times recently and I think it's made me a little homesick.

jendot Sun 17-Mar-13 21:30:28

Give it a bit longer....we did the same, we are now 3yrs post move and I finally feel settled here.

notimefors Sun 17-Mar-13 12:33:10

A year and a half isn't long. Give it a bit longer I think. Good luck.

Actually, I am like you a year and a quarter ago, I've just moved, don't know anybody, finding it a bit lonely, but it's very early days here!!

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 17-Mar-13 12:21:32

Stick with it would be my advice. You are unlikely to be able to buy the kind of place that you used to have in London with the difference in prices, your DS has settled at school and made good friends and it would disrupt all that again.

I think it's probably a case of rose tinted glasses, I moved areas some years ago now and had RTG for quite some time but there was no going back due to the prices of houses where I moved from.

What age are your DCs?

moBou Sun 17-Mar-13 12:04:07

We moved out of London about a year and a half ago, for the reasons parents usually move out of London - becoming worried about crime, wanting more space, fresh air, etc - and thought living in a small town by the sea would be a nicer environment for the kids to grow up in.

DS has settled well at school and made some good friends, but although I have become friendly with some of the mums, I haven't made any close friends. DD was born here and I thought joining baby groups would be a good way to meet people, but there aren't as many baby activities as there were in London (especially free ones) and again, although I've become friendly with some new mums, I haven't been able to make the step to close friends.

So, I miss my friends, the variety of things for the kids to do, and also the diversity and mix of people in London. But is this just to be expected in such a move? Have I given it enough time here? Am I just looking at London with rose tinted glasses because things haven't gone as smoothly here as hoped? (I'm even starting to say to myself crime is just something you have to live with in a big city)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now