with your DC's old pants?

(9 Posts)
notso Tue 26-Feb-13 13:11:26

Love the pant bunting idea grin.

I give a lot of our old stuff to Homestart not just clothes but pushchairs and carseats , my Mums friend works for them and I know they get put to good use.

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Tue 26-Feb-13 12:54:43

I think I got the idea from here actually. I just rang the local one and offered them stuff, they do an outreach thing in a daycentre type environment so I dropped them off there. I took a load of showergels and deodorants I had bought on offer too. Had a Christmas card from them and feel all warm and fuzzy.

BornToFolk Tue 26-Feb-13 12:27:30

Really good ideas, thanks! They are aged 3-4 so I think I'll check with DS's old nursery to see if they want them, and if not, find a local refuge and see if they want them. I'll donate my maternity clothes too, I really like that idea.

scaevola Tue 26-Feb-13 12:21:53

I gave a batch to their old nursery who kept a stock of emergency pants for children who had accidents (as sod's law meant it always happened on the days their emergency clothes weren't there).

I've also put them in collections for an overseas orphanage which needed everything (that was a local initiative run by a family with a direct connexion, no idea if any major charities do this). Otherwise, I send good ones to a charity shop in the vague hope they might pass them on to some organisation which can use them, or just put them in with their recycled fabric collection which at least gets them a few pence rag money and maximises the chance that they'll be reused somehow.

moogalicious Tue 26-Feb-13 12:21:49

Really good idea about donating to a refuge.

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Tue 26-Feb-13 12:20:32

Very worn out ones get binned or put in textile recycling bin. Ones in ok condition but outgrown I have passed on for the spare clothes stash at preschool.

For older children I'm not sure, I don't think I would try to rehome them unless they were in great condition then maybe put them in with other clothes if I was donating some clothing to a refuge? as women are often fleeing with children.

I gave most of my maternity clothes to a refuge, as DV often escalates during pregnancy and it seemed a good plan. Esp as they were mainly basics and not worth the trouble of selling.

Oxfam certainly take them and send them abroad. Otherwise, schools, playgroups, day nurseries can always use spare undies (as parents never return them).

moogalicious Tue 26-Feb-13 12:15:36

I have passed on good pairs to friends who wouldn't hmm and have given to charity but mostly I give them to the school (first school) who always need extra pants/knickers.

I don't mind been given decent, clean (!) second hand pants for ds from a close friend <shrugs>

BornToFolk Tue 26-Feb-13 12:09:19

This is more of a "what do you do?" rather than a "what would you do?" but anyway...

I was sorting through a load of DS's old clothes to pass on to a friend for her younger DS and came across a load of outgrown underpants. Would you pass them on too, or is that really minging? If not, what do you do with them? They are in good condition and if I had another child myself I wouldn't hesitate to pass them on to them but I don't and it seems a bit of a waste to just chuck them out. And sending to the chartity shop doesn't seem right either. hmm

Maybe I should turn them into bunting or something...grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now