Would you complain about this GP?

(15 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 23-Feb-13 16:25:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shesparkles Sat 23-Feb-13 16:43:22

So the GP thinks there's something pretty seriously wrong with you, takes appropriate action by referring you to hospital, and after some foot stamping on your part (I want to go home), you become more unwell, and go back to that same GP and you're surprised that he's annoyed that you've not taken his appropriate advice?

Do you really need to ask the question?

LynetteScavo Sat 23-Feb-13 16:47:50

No, I would not complain.

I think he was trying to get through to you how seriously ill you are/were.

I think he has a point. Sometimes even adults need telling off.

If you're going to act like a child who knows better than a medical professional are you really surprised when you get treated like one? confused

You're a total numpty for going home when they wanted to keep you in.

I'm just glad you're not dead too <softens telling off>

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 23-Feb-13 17:02:03

Floralnomad Sat 23-Feb-13 17:07:48

Your first post does make it sound like you discharged yourself from A&E before they could make a proper decision . I don't think there's anything to complain about although he does sound a bit brusque , perhaps he was having a bad day .

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 23-Feb-13 17:13:49

kelly14 Thu 28-Feb-13 13:50:30

A simple blood test (dimmer) would have provided pretty much certainly of you had a chance of having a blot clot or not.
If they thought you had a Blood clot on your lungs you would have a needed a CT scan as they dont show up on xrays, and they wouldnt have let you leave without knowing for sure if they suspected this.

Having had a huge blood clot and now hugely paranoid!! so lots of hospital visits, this is the first test they carry out (in december most recently in dubai, this is first thing they did and also in Australia and UK)

I was having terrible rib and chest pain and because of history they suspected PE, but the blood test ruled this out instantly.

I have discharged myself once after waiting 5 hours, my phone died andi had no way of contacting the person who had my daughterand all my family and dds dad live abroad! The hospital was rightly fuming with me and i had to sign full disclosure to say i was leaving against medical advice.

I dont think your doctor was unreasonable, i think he was caring for your wellbeing and my doctor is just as brusk with me! but i would rather he be stern than not give a **.

i hope you feel better soon xx

The blood test for a pe (d-dimer) is very sensitive but not specific. Lots of things can cause it to go up (including pneumonia) so in the op case it wouldn't have been helpful at all. It's only really of value if it's normal when it virtually rules out a pe.

glossyflower Wed 06-Mar-13 12:33:51

Whilst I agree GP was probably abrupt, if he genuinely thought you had a PE it can be potentially fatal if left untreated.
A D-Dimer is non specific but it could have been ruled out by a CT scan if the chest. (CTPA).
Just be thankful it was not a PE and concentrate on getting well. Xxx

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 06-Mar-13 12:56:42

edam Sun 17-Mar-13 18:05:39

oh blimey, poor you! Nice that the doctor said sorry for being brusque but it is A Good Thing that he cares about his patients and wanted you to be safe.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 17-Mar-13 22:45:47

Yakshemash Sun 17-Mar-13 22:48:50

My doctor shouted at me once. It made me give up smoking. Thanks doc!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now