If you could raise your DC anywhere in Britain where??

(15 Posts)
leaharrison11 Sat 23-Feb-13 15:45:12

If you could up sticks right now and choice a place in Britain to raise DC where would you go ??

London if I had money.

Right here (Hertfordshire) when I don't grin

ScillyCow Sat 23-Feb-13 15:46:35

Where we are.
By the coast in Cornwall.

youmaycallmeSSP Mon 25-Feb-13 17:51:30

Hove. Or Bangor. Maybe both grin

shockers Mon 25-Feb-13 18:06:31

Right here!

Market town in NW England.

weegiemum Mon 25-Feb-13 18:08:12

Well I suppose I'm going to say what I've done, as we love the output lol!

Dd1 born in the Outer Hebrides, went to nursery (Croiligean) there then started school and did p1 there in Gaelic school.

Ds born there, did a year of Croiligean until age 4.5

Dd2 born away (due to my illness) but brought up there until age 2.7, loved toddlers group.

We moved to Glasgow - it was a hard decision, but I was isolated after all this time, dh was having massive issues at work, so we took the plunge and moved to Glasgow - dh and I went to theology college, spent our savings!! I did some tutoring, he did nights/weekends o/c till he got a steady job.

Dc had a nanny for a while, then moved to childminder as they got olde
We still have our house in the Hebrides, we rent it out to tourists and go and stay when we can.

I'd say there's nothing to beat the outdoors and simplicity of the Scottish islands when dc are young, but as they get older and need more to do, living in a township of 4 houses where the next youngest person is your mum isn't really going to help.

We moved to the city where they swim, each play 2 instruments, each go to guiding/scouting activities. And dh is less stressed too. And I can get work here that I just couldn't there.

But we all love our old home - we're very lucky to keep it. I've got a cross stitch I made by my bed :

From the lone shilling of the misty island
Mountains part us, and a waste of seas.
But our hearts are true, and our hearts are highland,
And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.

I'm very sure one day, we'll go back! Neither of us born there, but it will always be home.

I love it here in Worcestershire, but would relocate to Chester given a chance.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 25-Feb-13 18:09:23

We did.
Ended up in Sussex.

Kafri Sun 10-Mar-13 22:01:59

im with shockers on this one. live in market town in NW and while there's some beautiful places around the country - this is home. smile

shockers Mon 11-Mar-13 14:38:28

Oooh Kafri... I wonder if it's the same town! Mine is lovely, it has both a river and a canal running through it smile.

Kafri Mon 11-Mar-13 15:51:53

Ooohh me too! grin

Errr, any reference to a cake by any chance?

On the isle of wight. We've toyed with it so many times but dh would be back n forth and it just wouldnt work.

Mummynotmum Mon 11-Mar-13 15:58:18

Right here in Chorlton. Love it!

shockers Mon 11-Mar-13 17:04:51

I don't think so Kafri... we do have our own blue cheese though! I think you may be just the left of a city near us, if you're where I think you are. We looked at houses there too, it's lovely!

springsummer2001 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:35:47

Right here in Moray in the north east of Scotland my DD has done p1 to p7 at the same brilliant school .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now