Over refunded by £100!

(18 Posts)
soimpressed Tue 19-Feb-13 23:05:45

I bought two dresses online hoping to keep one of them for an upcoming special occasion. The dresses were lovely but it has been an expensive couple of months and I decided I just couldn't afford them.

I took them back to the store as i mistakenly read that they could be returned by post up to 14 days after delivery and in store up to 28 days after. In fact it turns out that I could only get a gift card after 14 days. I never usually shop at this store and aside from needing the money would never have been able to use the card.

The manager wasn't sympathetic at all and it took a lot of wrangling before he got so fed with me that he refunded the cost to my credit card. I wanted to get out of the shop as quickly as possible but as I walked to the car I thought the dresses seemed far more expensive than I had thought. Back at home I checked my online order and found that the store had refunded me the dresses at full price rather than the sale price. I have basically made about £100 out of the whole thing shock.

I feel a bit guilty but everyone I've spoken to has just said keep the money. Honestly what would you do?

Sunnywithshowers Wed 20-Feb-13 00:28:05

I'd be honest. The manager will certainly appreciate it, and your conscience will be clear.

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Wed 20-Feb-13 02:06:14

Their mistake. Go get yourself some nice shoes!

Flame away. I'm morally bankrupt and I don't care.

soimpressed Wed 20-Feb-13 10:46:00

Thanks!

I'd go back and tell them. I would want someone to tell me.

Trazzletoes Wed 20-Feb-13 10:48:20

It's up to you what you do with it, but bear in mind that if you keep the money, it's legally theft.

impty Wed 20-Feb-13 10:51:13

In theory I would say tell the store. In RL when similar things have happened I've kept quiet. I don't know why but it just feels so good to be one up... grin

steppemum Wed 20-Feb-13 11:06:48

I would go back to the shop and tell them.
In my experience they often say don't worry keep it, as it is too difficult to process.

But I would have to be honest.

ImperialBlether Wed 20-Feb-13 12:00:47

I'd go back to the shop, mainly to show the manager that I had got the upper hand with him!

If you're honest, too, you have no regrets.

midastouch Thu 21-Feb-13 23:26:13

Honestly im really not sure what id do, £100 is a lot of money to have when you shouldnt but it was there mistake and a store is probably not going to miss it.

glossyflower Wed 06-Mar-13 09:01:27

It depends on the situation for me.
In what you described the manager sounded quite rude and unhelpful and why would I want to go back to them to rectify their mistake?
Yes technically it's theft, but are they really going to chase you up and charge you with stealing?! You can just plead ignorance and that you never noticed.
I'd keep it in this situation.
If for instance someone dropped £100 and disappeared round the corner I would chase after them with their money to return it.

Shutupanddrive Thu 07-Mar-13 15:35:50

I would keep it blush

Willow36 Fri 15-Mar-13 11:03:44

What did you do OP?

For me it would depend on the size of the company. A small company and I'd admit the mistake. A large company? I'd keep it.

chubbychipmonk Sat 16-Mar-13 09:11:22

I'd be skipping off into the sunset with my £100 better off! Serves them right for being tossers!

AuroraAlfresco Mon 18-Mar-13 16:33:26

Fuck sake - it is theft.

Cavort Mon 18-Mar-13 16:38:55

The Manager (however arsey he was about it) has done you a favour by refunding your CC when he should have only given you vouchers, so the least you can do is be honest about it. It's the right thing to do.

MirandaWest Mon 18-Mar-13 16:44:16

I took back trainers once that I had been given a discount on. They started refunding the full price but I told them as it felt wrong (was only about £7.50). But I did realise at the time which made it easier.

SqueakyCleanNameChange Mon 18-Mar-13 16:46:48

Agree, he may have been arsey, but he did bend the rules for you, he could easily havd stuck to his guns and given you a credit note. Unless you are genuinely broke I'd take it back, and maybe he'll be so impressed he'll let you keep the money with a clear conscience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now