How do I approach this issue?

(10 Posts)
kickassmomma Mon 11-Feb-13 18:59:54

Dd has started a type of physical development program for toddlers. It involves climbing ladders and equipment and building understanding in how to move better. I put her into the class because she was slipping behind and I thought she would benefit from it. Our first session was last week and she loved it however. All the other child in the class are intellectually, a lot more advanced. Dd is 2.7 has many words but doesn't often use them not is she able to follow instructions easy.
On our first session the staff member we were working with was made aware...twice... That the context of speech she was using was unsuitable for dd and that she couldn't understand. She is probably at an understanding level of an 18month old. I said gain several times today "she cannot understand you" this is after dd looked at her confused and the woman repeated herself several times! Then she switched to simply moving dd's arms and legs across the equipment in order to get her across. Baring in mind it took two leaders and me to help dd across as her physical development is probably that of the class below her age group. Dd does not understand the concept of numbers or colours either. Another piece of equipment I was helping dd across and the same member of staff came alone to help as dd was taking her time and kept falling. She stopped dd and asked her to say the colours as she walked across the apparatus then when dd didn't reply she stopped and and waited for her to say the colour. I told her "she doesn't no her colours yet" to get "well I'll tell her then" as a reply. I am probably being unreasonable at the colour thing but, dd is the only one in her class with a noticeable problem, and i feel slightly uncomfortable with how the staff are with me. Neither me or dd have 'clicked' with the staff and I feel rather odd when there as she needs a lot of help and none of the staff seem very keen to be extra sensitive or go that extra mikes to explain things in a simpler term. How do I explain this to the staff when we go next? I don't want to come across as rude hmm

Mogandme Mon 11-Feb-13 19:09:16

Ok so your daughter started a gym group which is for children around her age.

The teacher asked her to do something a couple of times/then showed her, thenasked her to do something else and showed her again.

Is that the gist of it?

kickassmomma Mon 11-Feb-13 19:11:47

Yes but the issue is she is never going to learn by ring moved across it jut because others are waiting she doesn't understand the instructions she's given. I'm the only parent that helps there child because she doesn't understand. I have thought about moving her back a stage into the up to 2 years but feel its unfair on her

Crikeyblimey Mon 11-Feb-13 19:17:35

If the other group is working and communicating at a level closer to her's then surely that would be better for her. She'd have more fun and get more out of tue sessions.

I don't see how that would be any less fair on her than not being able to fully participate in the sessions she is currently taking part in.

hazeyjane Mon 11-Feb-13 19:18:24

Kickass, are the helpers completely aware of any issues that your dd has?

I do a music class with ds (2.7) with sn, he has no speech, delayed understanding and is delayed in all areas. The lady who runs the class completely understands ds's limits, and makes a huge effort to adapt elements for him and work out ways around bits he struggles with. The rest of the class are also aware, which helps.

I did think about a gym class, and spoke to the leaders about how ds would need physical hand over hand help to do everything, and would struggle with instruction. They were great about it, but I was worried I admit (partly because of my own feeling watching much more able children clambering about with ease). Ds then got a place at a hydrotherapy session on the same day as gym class, so the decision was taken out of my hands!

Mogandme Mon 11-Feb-13 19:20:17

Can you explain the piece of aparatus?

Again children learn through doing - so she might not understand put the red ball in the red box and the blue ball in the blue box but by doing it by osmosis she will soon get the hang of it.

Why would moving her to a group (that she doesn't know is below her) that are at her stage developmentally be unfair?

hazeyjane Mon 11-Feb-13 19:22:21

kickass, I would also have not wanted to move ds to the younger children's session, I would hope that with my help the gym session could work out ways to adapt the class so that it could benefit ds as well. In the same way that I wouldn't want him in the baby room at nursery, when he is preschool age, just because he has the developmental age of a much younger child.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 11-Feb-13 19:23:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kickassmomma Mon 11-Feb-13 19:26:56

Hi yes the leader knows about her problems and the two helpers also know she won't talk and won understand the level o communication they are using. The piece of apparatus was stepping stones. I was trying to count them with her as she responds better when counting. We are trying to teach her to get up stairs independent and count on the way up with her. It's like a routine for us. For one the class below is cheaper and I don't no whether they would allow it but secondly because people tell me she with thrive with kids her own age but she doesn't. She tries her best to talk (baby language) to them but they look at her. She gets very defensive as she is At the age where people stare at her for other problems she has and if kids stare at her too long she hits them. There is no doubt she loves the class but the simple instruction of crawl onto/ off the mat was something she couldn't do even with other kids doing it. She didn't understand and a member of staff had to help her of and seemed a little 'put out' from doing it hmm

hazeyjane Mon 11-Feb-13 19:29:22

I would probably leave the class and do the soft play option as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now