Would you accept this very generous holiday offer?

(32 Posts)
imtheonlyone Sun 10-Feb-13 10:32:16

Ok, so story is that there is me and my two DSs who are 5 and 8. My now DP and I have been together for three years, we live together - bought a house together a year ago. DP has two DSs as well who are 4 and 8.
I don't earn very much and my XH gives me absolutely nothing in maintenance. This year for their birthday gifts, my mum has said she would like to take me and my boys to Disneyland Paris for a few days. There is no way on earth I could afford this type of holiday and would obviously love for my boys to have those experience. But she doesnt want to pay for my DP and his boys - it's not really her place to do so is it? Or is it? Am I wrong in accepting her generous offer and having this amazing holiday without my DP and his boys? My DP and I have discussed all going to Disneyland together but there is no way we could afford it at the moment.
So what would you do? Would you go and risk upsetting DP and his boys? Or not go because of guilt but then feel bad for my boys and my mum who is only trying to do something nice for their birthday????

Help!!!!

givemeaclue Mon 11-Feb-13 13:03:10

Go. And have a great time, very kind of your mum.

Kafri Fri 22-Feb-13 06:04:58

I'd go if I were you. I think i would feel differently if dps kids lived with you too but they don't. I'm not sure why my opinion is different because they don't live with you. .

would there be the option of you saving the money for dp to go along with you then you could have it as a family holiday as well?

Just a thought as it doesn't sound like you'd get a family holiday otherwise.

I get that his kids are part of the family and maybe he could treat them to a special day out without your kids on one of their visits?

StupidFlanders Fri 22-Feb-13 06:26:04

If your dp could pay for himself is he allowed to come?

Whocansay Wed 27-Feb-13 21:34:35

Go. You have to put your children first.

glossyflower Wed 06-Mar-13 09:11:31

Just want to add that my friend has 4 kids. One is by different father whose grandparents are always taking their grandson on holidays and days out and her other kids stay at home with their mum.
Which is fair enough the other kids still have their grandparents if they want to take them on holiday.

AThingInYourLife Wed 06-Mar-13 09:23:55

Go.

You can't ask your kids to miss out on this holiday with their grandmother because you have chosen to live with a man who has children.

Shutupanddrive Thu 07-Mar-13 15:48:50

Yes! Go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now