Is a 5 year old too young to commit to after school 'activities'? How do you know when to quit or keep on?

(4 Posts)
MummytoKatie Wed 06-Feb-13 20:00:58

Is the nearly 4 year old yours or someone else's that seems to have been dumped on you?

Assuming she's yours I'd wait a year until she is old enough to do the activities too. If it's a choice between watching sister do it and joining in then he may find a sudden enthusiasm!

Seeline Wed 06-Feb-13 11:07:12

My DS was like this - didn't want to join anything, wasn't sporty, didn't seem to need anything. He did start piano lessons at 5 at his request and kept those up until he was 10 (although practice was a whole different thread!!).The only thing that I perhaps pushed harder for him to at least try was Beavers when he was 6 (DH and I both had very good experiences of scouting/guiding and were determined that he should give it a go as we knew he would love it). Made him go the first week and we have never looked back - Beavers, Cubs and now Scouts. Other than that he has never done anything outside of extra curricular clubs at school, but seems very happy.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EggsOvaryZee Wed 06-Feb-13 10:32:02

Please help! DS was 5 in Dec.

About 6 months ago we tried a 4 week karate course - free trial. He asked about it from watching Kung Fu panda. We went. After the 2nd lesson, he didn't want to go back. Asked why, he said it was 'boring' and that he'd done it all already. Didn't seem to 'get' that you have to repeat a lot of moves to get better and progress. We did the 4 weeks, but did not sign up since he wasn't keen.

Tried a half day of Planet Sports (various different sports) during Oct half term - but he wasn't keen. But, I think he was too little (it was 9-12 and I wasn't there with him). There were lots of older kids there os In understand it might have been a bit too overwhelming.

He tried a drama thing once....enjoyed it whilst in class but didn't want to go again. Fine.

Two weeks ago I took him to a gymnastics class that we've been on a waiting list for. He was reluctant to join in. I bribed him with Pick 'n Mix and he did it. After 2 seconds, he was obviously loving it. When asked if he enjoyed - 'Yes, mummy'.

Yesterday, it was week two. Picked him up from school. He didn't want to go. I got the teacher to speak to him and he joined in only after I threatened no PS3 at the weekend (he plays Sat+Suns). Again, he did it, by the look of him, loved it all. When asked if he enjoyed it he just said, "I only did it to play Playstation" - he doesn't want to go again. Doesn't give a reason. Dad was going to have a chat about it all dropping him off to school today, but i've not heard the outcome of this yet.

TBH, it's easier for me if we don't go. I have to 'entertain' a nightmare nearly 4 yr old sister who is too young for the formal class.

He has never come to me to ask about joining a club...although he enjoys watching TV and playing the PS3...he is a bright, confident boy. Not really terribly sporty though...just starting to like football but only with dad int he park.

I am only trying to 'show' him what's out there, but WWYD?!
Do I 'force' him to go? Surely not. But then, if he says he doesn't want to go.....?
How will he know he doesn't like soemthing until he tries it? I don't want to bribe him to do something.....is he simply too young for this kind of thing? (He's my PFB, so I've no clue...)...

Any ideas?

We go swimming on a Sunday, that's is non-negotiable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now