Would you, or have you, used professional sitters?

(14 Posts)
MyAmygdalaDidIt Tue 05-Feb-13 22:39:26

Chance we may have to ....

I am not at all keen on the idea to say the least. really not.

By quirk of fate all the people who would help normally are away.

DH's opinion is millions of people use them so must be OK.

Any thoughts/experiences please?

petal2008 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:32:13

We had to use a professional sitter once - I think our DS was about 8 at the time though not a baby. We had booked a weekend away to go to a concert and my parents who normally looked after my DS were bought a holiday as a present after we had it all arranged.

We couldn't cancel the flights or the tickets (was in the UK) without losing the money so we took him with us and the hotel (reputable chain) arranged a sitter for us from the list they used.

She was a lady in her fifties or so and she stayed in the hotel room with our DS - they watched TV and played word games - a good time according to our DS. I think we paid her about £50 for about three hours. I have no idea if this was the going rate but it was cheaper than cancelling everything.

At the time we felt okay about leaving him as my gut feeling was she seemed responsible and I think the fact she was a bit older put me at ease. We told the hotel where we were and what was happening.

When I think about it now I am a bit surprised I did it but I know if I had had any doubts at the time I would not have left him.

I used to work for Sitters, (gave up because the pay was pants!), BUT I have to say, they vetted me very thoroughly, checked all my references etc. They only employ experienced childcarers too, (I believe). Good luck, and go with your gut feeling is all I can say.

MyAmygdalaDidIt Wed 06-Feb-13 18:18:34

Thanks Petal.

Good to hear a positive experience.

Our DC are quite a bit younger. Youngest will be nearly two ... and is used to me settling her to sleep.

So, am worried it will be unfair on DC and on sitter.

Though I guess it is only one night ...

MyAmygdalaDidIt Wed 06-Feb-13 18:20:05

Thanks praying - that's reassuring.

Melissakitkat Wed 06-Feb-13 18:30:35

Hi, I use sitters all the time - so easy to book and always get very experienced, lovely people sitting for dd (first used when she was 4) now 7.

alto1 Wed 06-Feb-13 18:41:16

We used Sitters and Toybox and they were excellent. Used them once a week for years and still keep in touch with some of the sitters.

But if you're considering a place in Thornton Heath, pm me

MyAmygdalaDidIt Wed 06-Feb-13 23:07:30

OK - thanks so much for sharing these experiences. Really helpful.

I will look into Sitters and Toybox.

jendot Sun 17-Feb-13 20:24:45

I have worked for and used sitters at various life stages!
As a sitter I was very thoroughly checked and personally interviewed.
As a parent the girls that came were all fine. All nannies as their day job. I do remember that feeling when they were small leaving them with a 'total stranger' !

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 17-Feb-13 20:29:52

We use Sitters, and have also used a sitter in a hotel before.

Felt 100% comfortable with each person, as did the DCs.

It is a weird feeling the first time, but that passed really quickly.

nannyof3 Tue 19-Feb-13 23:38:03

'Like minders' are very good !!!

Bluelightsandsirens Tue 19-Feb-13 23:41:02

We have had sitters and as much s I worried they were very god with our young Dc

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 19-Feb-13 23:44:42

Have done on holiday, would do in the UK but can normally find someone to help out.

ImperialBlether Wed 20-Feb-13 12:04:48

I've worked for Sitters. Their check up couldn't be more thorough. They phoned my boss, phoned my neighbour who vouched for me, thoroughly checked my CRB check, checked my driving licence etc. Took photocopies of everything.

A lot depends on whether your children cope well with being with strangers. You can ask for the same person the next time, too.

Whereabouts are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now