Moving to Devon from London????? HELP!!!

(16 Posts)
Londonmummy2012 Sun 03-Feb-13 11:28:02

I currently live in south London with my husband and 7 month old daughter with my mum. My husband is a teacher so earns a good wage but not enough for me to stay at home with my daughter, and going back to work seems to be more expensive then staying at home.

So we've been thinking about moving to Devon, where my husband is from. He could get a teaching job for pretty much the same money, rent is so much cheaper so we could save to buy and I could stay at home and eventually have another baby.

Im from London and I love the life and the fast pace of life. But it's not about what I like, it's about my daughter and giving her the best start. I can't move to Devon of its not going to work out with a baby

what do I do?!?!

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Sun 03-Feb-13 11:34:38

I'd do it in a flash, but then we left London for Dorset and love it! We do occasionally miss London but we do visit for a bit each year.

Its a very different pace of life but having more space and more of an outdoor life has been invaluable.

London is great if you have property and a lot of money. We had neither and found it very tough.

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Sun 03-Feb-13 11:35:47

Although just noticed you'll be leaving your mum. I don't have close family but if I did that would be worth an awful lot. Do you get on with in laws? Have you been to Devon before etc. Do you like it etc?

Snusmumriken Sun 03-Feb-13 11:41:36

Could you mother come as well? Asumming that you would want her to, of course.

cece Sun 03-Feb-13 11:43:44

I'm from Devon and move there if I were able to. I loved growing up there. Which bit of Devon are you thinking of moving too? Has your DH actually got a job yet as I think it is quite hard to get a teaching job in Devon. Once there people seem to rarely leave their jobs - or so I have heard.

SueDunome Sun 03-Feb-13 12:00:54

Do it, but make sure you are near somewhere with a bit of life. Exeter would be good for you; you would still have the city life, but half an hour from the beach or the moors.

Teaching aside, salaries are much lower in Devon than they are in London so, if and when you decide to return to work, you would need to take this into consideration. I don't know what you do but, again, living nearer the city would mean there were more job opportunities available.

SueDunome Sun 03-Feb-13 12:08:54

Need to add that obviously 'city life' in Exeter is still a lot slower paced than London!! But at least you would have shopping, cinemas, restaurants, clubs, sports centres etc on the doorstep, whereas if you choose a countryside village, you may only have cows and sheep as neighbours and be lucky to even have a corner shop.

Londonmummy2012 Sun 03-Feb-13 13:48:27

We're thinking of moving to Torquay as most of my husbands family is from there. I would maybe get an part time even job but just for a bit of money for myself.
I think for us as a family it's the best thing, but just very scary.
Thanks for all the replies x

SueDunome Sun 03-Feb-13 14:15:18

Ooh, Torquay is good too - beautiful all year round, you will love it. I grew up in a coastal town between Torquay and Exeter. It is a great place to live but very busy in the summer months.

Runwayqueen Sun 03-Feb-13 19:20:31

Currently in newton abbot (between Torquay and Exeter) and must say its fantastic living down here. Right on the doorstep of the moors, coast and a beautiful city. All three towns/city have fantastic children's centres and some other great places for children young and old. Fantastic transport links also.

Do agree with pp though, jobs are certainly a lot lower paid down here and defently doesn't match up to the cost of living here. My job earns me £19000, the same job in bristol £32000 and London £54000, but even the money aside, I don't think I could live anywhere else.

Londonmummy2012 Sun 03-Feb-13 19:36:22

That's another thing I was worried about, children centres and things to do. Good to hear there's lots. And as for the job, my husband can be on a similar wage as London so I would just need to get a little part time evening job for spending money really.
It's so nice to hear all these positive comments x

Artigene Sun 03-Feb-13 19:49:56

I grew-up in Devon and now live in London where I am raising my children. Before I had children I wanted to move back to Devon to have my family as I was convinced it would provide a better family life than London, I have to say I am so glad that we were unable to leave the city.

I love raising kids in London, I love the many activities/clubs/groups for mothers and babies, I love the fact that whatever the weather there is something to do, I love the free museums and that every weekend there is an event somewhere nearby. I love being in a densely packed community where there are many other women with children my age so I can pick and choose my "mummy friends". I love having career options. I love that my children are surrounded by people from many cultural and professional backgrounds. I am not sure any of those things are true for my friends back home in Devon.

I am incredibly fond of Devon, it is stunningly beautiful and in good weather the outdoor life offers so much, but this is the UK, the weather is rarely great, and I remember being stuck inside and bored rather too often.

This is just my personal opinion, different lives suit different people and I have not tried both options so maybe I am wrong and maybe I would love it if we moved, but I am not convinced.

OhTheConfusion Sun 03-Feb-13 22:59:59

I recently left Torquay and moved back to where I am from origionaly. Torquay does not have a great deal going for children tbh. It is costal and pretty but the town center is not nice :-(

I would suggest you look around and make sure this is where you want to live before you commit. I like Topsham and Newton Abbot better if you are looking for a town and Exeter is lovely with a lot more going on (but still a lot less than you are used to). I think it depends on the lifestyle you want.

Feel free to PM if you want any specifics. DH is also a teacher.

Londonmummy2012 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:32:56

The main reason to move will be to stay at home which means I can go back to London once a month for a long weekend or week. Which means I have the best of both worlds. I could still go to groups in London that I love and the few I've found in Devon. Edith also has cousins there so she'll have lots to do with them, otherwise it's all adults in London.
It basically comes down to affording it, wanting to stay at home and wanting another baby

sannaville Tue 05-Feb-13 18:17:58

I live in exeter we moved here from Hertfordshire so similar to you really and we've never looked back. Been here seven years now, we moved away from all our family to start afresh so have no support network here but it's amazing here I love it. We are about two miles from the city centre in the Clyst Heath area of exeter and its perfect. 9 miles to nearest beach, not far from countryside. I do miss my parents as they're in Kent it we see them regularly

xXSharonXx Sun 17-Nov-13 17:26:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now