WWYD re the way this parent is talking to her child . Should I talk to the school ??

(34 Posts)
Shinyshoes1 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:31:07

I'm sat here at the bus stop in the last 5 minutes I've heard

You're a spastic
You're stupid x5
Don't show me up with your stupidness
He wanted to cuddle her she pulled away
The apple don't fall far from the tree
No wonder noone wants to talk to you you're so stupid
I hate you being my kid sometimes

My daughter was loving the attention this woman was giving her when she hopped on one foot . Her son attempted she and she said " stop doing that youll only fall seeing as you're so stupid "
He is wearing one of those hats with the long ears that act as gloves and because he was clapping with them she's banned him from telly for 2 weeks

Wwyd ??

angelpinkcar Thu 31-Jan-13 12:32:09

It is emotional abuse you are right, he may be already in the system, this person doesn't sound like the full ticket, you should still report the incident, get a name and follow it up to see if there is any outcome or contact your local police station and speak to the child protection unit. No child needs to be spoken to like that even if they have done something wrong earlier on in the morning, what a complete moran this woman sounds. So whats that little man going to turn out like as an adult???!!!!! If you think the child may be in danger at all I would contact the police or social services or both....

melonribena Wed 30-Jan-13 21:05:40

I would ring social services. The deputy didn't sound like she was taking it very seriously to be honest and it sounds like something needs to be done fast.
How old is the poor chap?

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Sat 26-Jan-13 15:51:25

This is awful, I suppose the school have to be pretty non commital, presumably if he is treated like this all the time and perhaps worse at home the teachers and TA's are experienced in picking things up, maybe they already have concerns (you would hope) sad

Social services should have a duty team you can contact out of office hours OP. Whenever you call them though you might as well call them directly, it will get dealt with quicker like that than going through nspcc first surely.

StripiestSocks Sat 26-Jan-13 11:15:13

Why not just ring NSPCC now? It can be anonymous, If that is part of the reason for not wanting t call.

Shinyshoes1 Sat 26-Jan-13 08:43:54

I'll give social services a ring Monday . I'm assuming it's office hours

So the school have been told about one of their young pupil's being verbally abused by their mother in public but may well sit on their hands as it happened off school grounds??? I bloody hope not!

I did suggest contacting SS yourself as well as the school earlier on in the thread but I'd especially do so now given the school's luke warm reaction OP.

SocietyClowns Fri 25-Jan-13 17:04:27

I would also tell the head, offering to explain a bit more and mention that you spoke to the dep... Just to ensure that this is not accidentally forgotten about (not that I would accuse staff to brush things under the carpet, oh no hmm). Reading your thread OP made me feel quite ill. I have my moments too, but no child should have to live like that.

StripiestSocks Fri 25-Jan-13 17:03:57

NSPCC website has info on emotional abuse and suggests calling them.

houseelfdobby Fri 25-Jan-13 16:52:31

This is so sad. You must have wanted to hug the little boy. I agree that you were right not to challenge the mum - she could easily have taken out any frustration later on the little mite.

You did the right thing talking to the Dep Head. Surely the school has access to local authority advice and/or some sort of child protection procedure? I sincerely hope the whole "not in school time, not our business" line wasn't a Pontius Pilatesque hand washing. Actually, I can't imagine the Head sitting on that information and doing nothing with it....

StripiestSocks Fri 25-Jan-13 16:44:01

I would ring NSPCC for advice tbh, they will know what can be done in this type of instance.

Moominsarehippos Fri 25-Jan-13 16:37:52

I suppose its in the schools radar now. If they have a few comments or his teacher raises it, then wont they have to do something? Even on my worst, crappiest, nastiest day I'm nowhere near that horrible.

FairyJen Fri 25-Jan-13 16:33:54

Was he wearin uniform? Not sure if law has changed but if a child is in uniform school still have obligation to them wen if outside school hours.

Eg if they were mis behaving in uniform school would expected to deal with this.

Poor little mite sad

Shinyshoes1 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:30:04

I spoke to the Dep head . She's covering for the Head at the mo. she says she's not sure what , if anything , they can do as it happened outside iof school but she will pass on my concerns to the head when she gets back and if I hear nothing then it means they are doing something

Spose I've just got to wait and see now . Her face was giving nothing away

Sounds pretty abusive to me. How did you get on OP?

This made me so sad and angry

hoodoo12345 Fri 25-Jan-13 15:29:46

Poor little boysad

Shinyshoes1 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:01:14

Yes of course cabbage i'll pop in school in the morning and see what the head or (whomever I get to see ) says

CabbageLooking Thu 24-Jan-13 17:11:51

Shinyshoes1 would you report back please? I realise that the school will not be able to tell you what they do but I have to admit this thread has made me sob a little and it'd be nice to know if something is happening.

Moominsarehippos Thu 24-Jan-13 16:19:35

Poor wee soul. There is a tipping point where kids like this go from scared/cowed to cold/bully.

Shinyshoes1 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:48:24

Ok I'll do that . The mum repeated his name a few times and he's a year above . His name is unusual so the school will know who I mean

I think I will mention it to a senior member of staff like others have said if she's willing to be so vocal in public no doubt he gets the same at home , I've asked my child to be friends with him if she sees him in school

Moominsarehippos Thu 24-Jan-13 15:48:14

I would go and speak to the Head and ask what she /he would expect a parent to do who had seen such a thing. Hypothetically.

If you know which school the by goes to then speak to the head. If you know his first name, age and which school he goes to call social services yourself and they'll be able to find out the rest of his details. That poor boy. sad

There was a mum shouting at her boy at the bus stop near me and my DS (who has autism and no tact) loudly asked me "mummy why is that lady being shouty and not nice to that boy?" I also wonder how much worse they are at home with them when they can be so openly horrid in public.

Charmingbaker Thu 24-Jan-13 15:44:48

If they go to your daughters school, talk to a senior member of staff there. Do you know the child's name, if not your daughter may know whose class he is in. Chances are the school may well know who you are talking about. Once you tell school they have a duty to act on it..

Shinyshoes1 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:43:50

it's the mum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now