Apple/Samsung

(11 Posts)
Kafri Sun 20-Jan-13 15:24:27

Right this is quite trivial I know.
My contract is up shortly. I have iPhone 4 ATM. Am debating with the easy but more expensive option of iPhone 5 though I'm not convinced they have made enough changes from 4s to warrant the price. I say easy as I have a rather difficult 4week old ATM and it would be a case of swap sim and away we go)

Or

The Samsung galaxy s3 (I think that's the current one). This would be the cheaper opti

catladycourtney1 Sun 20-Jan-13 16:53:18

Have you done some research online? There are lots of sites and youtube videos that do "phone vs phone" type things to show you how they compare, and you can see how well each one fits your needs (for example, there's no point paying more for a better camera if you never take photos).

I personally would go for the Samsung, but that's just me. Between me and my boyfriend, we've never had an Apple product that didn't break within a year or so, and we've had a lot of them - mainly various models of iPod, but also a couple of phones. Yet I'm writing this now on Samsung Galaxy S2 that I've had for more than 18 months and it's taken a battering, I've even dropped it in the sink while washing up and it's still fine.

DeadTall Sun 20-Jan-13 23:33:42

Another vote for Samsung. I love my S2, does everything the iPhone 4 does, for half the contract price

K2ZJH Mon 21-Jan-13 10:50:39

personally I would go for the s3 or the galaxy note 2

Haberdashery Mon 21-Jan-13 11:15:03

I'd go for a Samsung. I changed over from Apple and have found my Note to be a superior product for less money. I wouldn't go back to Apple. And I'm finally free of iTunes which is an absolute pig on Windows.

PoppyWearer Mon 21-Jan-13 11:20:11

It depends if you have an iPhone 4 or 4S at the moment. I had a 4 and the camera is much better on the 5, so it was worth it for me. My DH had a 4S and didn't notice much improvement to the 5 from that. Camera important for photos and videos of the baby!

It also depends if you are wedded into the Apple world (Mac, ipad, iTunes, etc) as the streaming between them all (especially of photos) is for me what makes it worth sticking with Apple.

Otherwise I agree, other phones are supposed to be better, the recent Gadget Show review agreed (just before Christmas, IIRC).

Oh, and don't forget to sell your old handset on eBay - they sell well!

LifeofPo Mon 21-Jan-13 11:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kafri Mon 21-Jan-13 13:46:25

Good call poppy. Camera is more important these days. And yes it is easier to sync if all apple... DH wants my old handset so was gonna give him that and flog his bb, not that we'll get much for it. I've been having a few issues with it going silent during calls lately but Taft won't affect DH, he never picks up! ;-)

Giff gaff? Gonna have to google that one! If I wanna cancel I have to wait til early may. Can upgrade early but only cancel at end if contract.

catladycourtney1 Mon 21-Jan-13 18:40:13

I'm on giffgaff smile I get unlimited texts, unlimited date and 250 minutes for £12 a month. It used to be £10 until they changed all the packages at the end of last year. Definitely a lot cheaper if you're happy with the phone you have now.

Kafri Mon 21-Jan-13 20:29:00

Hmmm, defo an option! Save a few £££ while on mat leave. I'm on O2 ATM and I looked on giff gaff earlier and it said it runs on O2 network. Food for thought...

Mawgatron Wed 13-Feb-13 20:57:22

Sounds trivial, but we have loads of apple products. I'm in the same boat as you but hesitant to get the 5 as the charger is different, therefore said phone won't fit in the assorted docking stations, stereos etc around the house. You can buy an adaptor but I am resentful of shelling out an extra 25 squids on top of the hefty cost of the phone.
Saying that, a Samsung wouldn't fit either, so might just get a 4s...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now