I want to apolgise, but don't know how

(9 Posts)
Kirk1 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:45:08

I have just started doing a catalogue and this week did my first deliveries. Today I went around to collect them and one of the order forms has been written on "your leaflets all over the road. You are not welcome in this street Kirk"

Now I hate litter, so I'm mortified at having caused some and not noticed. I'm the sort of person who picks up sweet wrappers and crisp packets on walks and takes them home to bin. I'm assuming it was my slips to say "thanks for your order" (if I get any....) because I missed them when I got home. Problem is, not being welcome in that street causes problems, as it's right around the corner from me. I pass it when taking the children to the park. I can't live with having annoyed a neighbour to the point where they feel I should be banned from the street!

As i see it, I have 3 basic options. 1 ignore it, and cross that house off my delivery list. Try to put it aside.
2. write a letter to apologise,
3. Knock on the door and apologise in person.

I don't like any of those options, 1, it will prey on my mind, 2, I have a mild phobia of talking to people I don't already know unless I'm working from a script so I don't think I'd come across well there, 3, I find letters a bit cowardly and you can't always guarantee the tone you mean will be the tone the other person hears.

So, kind MNers, WWYD? And what would you think of me if you were this neighbour?

Kirk1 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:46:04

Grr, I should proof read before posting, obviously I reversed options 2 and 3 there confused

Kirk1 Mon 14-Jan-13 22:28:58

Anybody? Any opinions gratefully received!

LittleChimneyDroppings Mon 14-Jan-13 22:32:03

Well, he can't ban you from the street as it doesn't belong to him. I'd avoid his house and be careful not to drop any litter next time. If you really feel bad pop a note through his door, but still avoid him.

rubyrubyruby Mon 14-Jan-13 22:33:21

I would knock on the the door and apologise tbh.

Do remember though that this is 1 person and they can't speak for the whole street! They do sound a bit weird to me.

Tortington Mon 14-Jan-13 22:40:23

if hes a cock, he will be a total cock in person. remember - he's the shithouse for posting the stupid note in person.

ignore the twunt

HelenLynn Mon 14-Jan-13 22:52:20

If you were to write a friendly, apologetic but not grovelling note on a little card saying that a bundle of your papers fell out of your bag, ever so sorry to be a litterbug, will be more careful in future, then you would have gone much further than most people would ever bother, and if I were the snotty-message-writer I'd feel most chastened when I got it!

"Not welcome in our street" - crikey that's a bit much - I can imagine being in a grumpy/self-righteous enough mood to want to write that but I hope I wouldn't actually do it!

Kirk1 Tue 15-Jan-13 01:32:07

Well, I have decided to write a note, DH has suggested to write one for the houses on either side too, hoping that the next-door neighbours will make arse feel bad about himself. I am obviously not unwelcome to all his street though, I have an order from the opposite neighbour!

Not sure how to address the note as I don't have the name. "Dear Arsehole" somehow seems to set the wrong tone....

HelenLynn Tue 15-Jan-13 01:37:15

"Dear No. 23, ..."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now