Unwanted Christmas presents

(33 Posts)
aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 27-Dec-12 20:45:02

If someone you didn't like and who didn't like you (they have specifically said they do not like you) bought you a Christmas present, WWYD?
Return unopened?
Open and keep?
Other?
The person in question is family and there is a long background of never getting on.
Oh and you definately didn't want a present from them!

sensesworkingovertime Wed 09-Jan-13 16:15:36

Presuming they are not trying to say sorry for the past or try and make amends.....I would send it to charity shop. If it was me, even if it was something I liked and could use it would constantly be reminding me of the person who gave it.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sun 30-Dec-12 07:52:21

McP hit the nail on the head, it totally represents the person hence the hatred towards it.
I caved and squeezed it. It's socks.
They're being returned in the new year with a few of the suggestions on here.

MotherOfTheBritishEmpire Thu 27-Dec-12 22:49:31

Return it.
"I am not quite sure why you chose to give me a present after all that has happened, and after you made your feelings so clear, but under the circumstances, I don't feel I can accept it. I am happy to observe the lack of contact you prefer, so we need not trouble with gifts for the sake of it in future. Yours...

McPheastOfStephen Thu 27-Dec-12 22:30:11

To you, the present represents the person. Yes?

Separate

Sniff

And squeeze

<or I won't sleep>

grin

MerylStrop Thu 27-Dec-12 22:26:34

If you return it will it blow up into a whole world of grief and recrimination? Or will it help you and them to move on in some way?

Alternatively get DH to open it and dispose of it in the most appropriate and ethical way

aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 27-Dec-12 22:23:12

You lot are terrible!!
Honestly, it makes me angry just looking at it.
May get DP to squeeze it tomorrow of you're good...

McPheastOfStephen Thu 27-Dec-12 22:07:36

Can you not just give it a wee sniff??

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Thu 27-Dec-12 21:31:18

If you feel that strongly then return it.

garlicbaubles Thu 27-Dec-12 21:27:10

Oh sad

I respect your wisdom, natch, I'm just tired of watching Prison Break and trying to live vicariously blush

garlicbaubles Thu 27-Dec-12 21:25:59

xpost, Bonkey grin

<gentle, humming voice> ... open it ... open it ...

aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 27-Dec-12 21:25:04

HEC I am stealing that message and writing it on the note! Thanking you.
I am not opening it not even a tiny corner just to see
Last year I got a bottle of obviously from a jumble/car boot sale Mariah Carey perfume in a tatty ripped box.
Year before was a pair of slippers.
I'm not holding my breath.

BonkeyMollocks Thu 27-Dec-12 21:24:52

Ok, if your going to send it back....can you at least very carefully peel back a corner and peek??

mellowcat Thu 27-Dec-12 21:24:22

I wouldn't return it either, life's too short. Send it to a charity shop and banish it and the sender from your mind.

tribpot Thu 27-Dec-12 21:23:21

You clearly want them to know they should stop sending gifts. How did you end up in possession of this one? Was it sent through the post?

Returning it perpetuates the feud but not returning it may give the impression they have 'won'. Overall I would give the thing away (unseen if you want, in one of those charity bins they have in supermarket car parks and the like?) and make sure it is not possible to send you a gift next year.

garlicbaubles Thu 27-Dec-12 21:22:58

Am I very, very bad for wanting you to open it, even if you have to use tongs behind a screen to do it?

Yes, I am blush

BonkeyMollocks Thu 27-Dec-12 21:22:19

Marking place to find out what it is blush

Open it! Open it! Open it! grin

Viviennemary Thu 27-Dec-12 21:20:48

I wouldn't return it. It's just not done. But I'd probably moan and whine and go on about it. If it's awful wait a respectable amount of time and then donate it to charity.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Thu 27-Dec-12 21:19:46

I would send it back. With note saying you have made your feelings very clear, I think sending me a gift after that is hypocritical and inappropriate. Rest assured I am not unhappy with your decision to have nothing to do with me and suggest you extend this to not sending gifts.

McPheastOfStephen Thu 27-Dec-12 21:16:31

Put gloves on and open it.

Curiosity is almost choking me blush

aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 27-Dec-12 21:10:38

Justfab, no I'm afraid not. Was told on Christmas day nothing's changed. They've basically done it so no one can say 'and they didn't even get aiming a present'.

JustFabulous Thu 27-Dec-12 21:08:04

Maybe they have had a change of heart about sorting things out..

aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 27-Dec-12 21:05:26

Acandle is suspect yours is a similar reason for returning to mine.
Toxic isn't enough to describe them!
I want to return with a note stating 'if I'm not welcome as part of the family please do not send gifts' but that doesn't quite sound right?
I don't want them thinking they can act like everything's normal when it's not.
Please note- this isn't me trying to be awkward, we have literally begged to try and sort things out, they refused and want 'nothing to do with us' and now this? hmmconfused

Acandlelitshadow Thu 27-Dec-12 20:59:46

Hmmm. I returned dosh from MIL down to a truly toxic and still unresolved fallout. We've all but cut contact now but if she did send anything, it'd absolutely go back.

She's not someone I have to face though. If it's someone you have to have contact with is it worth the aggro?

Tommy Thu 27-Dec-12 20:56:37

I wouldn't return it - unwrap it and then give it to charity.
If you returned it, then the feud will still be going on....

MNPdoesYULETIDE Thu 27-Dec-12 20:54:52

Gift it to them/her next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now