Unwanted Christmas presents

(33 Posts)
aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 27-Dec-12 20:45:02

If someone you didn't like and who didn't like you (they have specifically said they do not like you) bought you a Christmas present, WWYD?
Return unopened?
Open and keep?
Other?
The person in question is family and there is a long background of never getting on.
Oh and you definately didn't want a present from them!

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Thu 27-Dec-12 21:31:18

If you feel that strongly then return it.

McPheastOfStephen Thu 27-Dec-12 22:07:36

Can you not just give it a wee sniff??

aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 27-Dec-12 22:23:12

You lot are terrible!!
Honestly, it makes me angry just looking at it.
May get DP to squeeze it tomorrow of you're good...

MerylStrop Thu 27-Dec-12 22:26:34

If you return it will it blow up into a whole world of grief and recrimination? Or will it help you and them to move on in some way?

Alternatively get DH to open it and dispose of it in the most appropriate and ethical way

McPheastOfStephen Thu 27-Dec-12 22:30:11

To you, the present represents the person. Yes?

Separate

Sniff

And squeeze

<or I won't sleep>

grin

MotherOfTheBritishEmpire Thu 27-Dec-12 22:49:31

Return it.
"I am not quite sure why you chose to give me a present after all that has happened, and after you made your feelings so clear, but under the circumstances, I don't feel I can accept it. I am happy to observe the lack of contact you prefer, so we need not trouble with gifts for the sake of it in future. Yours...

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sun 30-Dec-12 07:52:21

McP hit the nail on the head, it totally represents the person hence the hatred towards it.
I caved and squeezed it. It's socks.
They're being returned in the new year with a few of the suggestions on here.

sensesworkingovertime Wed 09-Jan-13 16:15:36

Presuming they are not trying to say sorry for the past or try and make amends.....I would send it to charity shop. If it was me, even if it was something I liked and could use it would constantly be reminding me of the person who gave it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now