Alcoholic FIL driving home on Christmas day

(10 Posts)
nearlyuptheduff Fri 21-Dec-12 14:20:29

Hi All,

FIL will drink his own bodyweight in booze on xmas day then insist on driving home. We have lots of others staying and he always insists on going home to his own bed so they won't stay over.

It's a 1 hour drive along a very dark and bendy country road for them to get home. I don't want a scene on xmas day but is it my place to tell him he should not be driving and insist that sober MIL drives?

WWYD??

You have to tell him not to do it, if he does it anyway you need to pick up the phone and report him. I would rather have a fuss on christmas day than have someone be knocked over by a drink driver. Its absolutely your place to tell him.

BrianCoxIsAChristmasPud Fri 21-Dec-12 14:34:12

Tell him he must give you the car keys.

Speak to MIL and insist she drives home.

If either of them say no, explain that the alternative is you calling the police with their reg details and their route home.

Do not turn it into a debate/discussion. Tell them that is what will happen if MIL does not drive home.

End of.

Unfortunately, you have an obligation - morally at least, to ensure he does not get in the drivers seat.

nearlyuptheduff Fri 21-Dec-12 14:36:02

Thanks. You have just confirmed my thoughts on the matter. I will do that. Not only is he putting himself at risk he is putting MIL and other road users at risk

BertieBotts Fri 21-Dec-12 14:37:49

Exactly, it's not just him, someone could be walking home down that road in the dark and possibly wet/icy conditions sad Not worth taking the risk.

BrianCoxIsAChristmasPud Fri 21-Dec-12 14:39:10

Exactly. It isn't easy, but it is vitally important that you don't allow him to leave your house and drive home.

Can you imagine if you sat back and said/did nothing and he killed a family, hit them head on and wiped them out in one go.

Horrific to think of, catastrophizing the situation perhaps, but it has and does happen.

Just be firm, don't 'ask' or 'suggest', just tell them that as he will want to enjoy the day and have a drink, you are going to make sure MIL drives. If at that point he tries to say he will drive, you say "alternatively I WILL call the police and you can speak to them about it."

End of conversation.

Good luck!

nearlyuptheduff Fri 21-Dec-12 14:44:12

Thanks all! Hopefully it will be a lovely day for you all! wine

MushroomSoup Thu 27-Dec-12 11:48:40

How did it go?

BabylonElf Sat 29-Dec-12 23:05:09

So did FIL insist or did you get MIL to drive?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 10-Jan-13 04:19:44

More fool mil to get in a car with a drunk driver

Agree if he or anyone you know is drink driving report them

Could you live with knowing they killed someone on your conscience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now