Family down on luck. How do I help?

(31 Posts)
clarexbp Fri 16-Nov-12 10:48:39

Some neighbours of ours are having a really rough time. They're a lovely young couple with three beautiful children but are (amongst other things) really struggling financially. I don't think they are going to have a very nice Christmas. I would love to help and am in a financial position to do so but don't want them to feel patronised or embarrassed. What can I do? I would prefer to do something anonymously (mystery sack of presents on doorstep, cash in blank envelope pushed through letterbox) but will this feel stalkery and / or patronising? Ideas gratefully received.

clarexbp Sat 17-Nov-12 09:43:28

Thanks Guys. You have been really helpful. No one has come back saying that I'm being patronising, which is what I was most concerned about, so I'm going to do it. I am moving towards sending some supermarket vouchers in the post (concensus seems to be that vouchers will be easier to accept than cash) and then I might wrap a few little presents for Xmas day too. Thanks for the Woolworths tip Goonatic - looks like they have some great stuff for kids. Any other suggestions for things an infant-aged girl and a junior-aged boy will like?

Goonatic Sat 17-Nov-12 21:44:35

Oh BUGGER! Just wrote a mere reply and then looked something up and it went!!!!!

Take 2:
Girl - sparkly pens, notepads, anything from Claires accessories ie hair bands, bobbles, lip balms, little bags etc, a secret diary, a nice cushion maybe from dunelm, anything Disney princesses, (jigsaws etc) maybe some earmuffs, gloves etc.

Boy- 'stomp rocket', some kind of gruesome facts book, Diary of a Wimpey Kid DVD or books, hex bugs, football, remote control insect/dinosaur, any kind of joke thing eg masks, fart sweets, snappy chewing gum etc, Lego.

Hope that helps!

Goonatic Sat 17-Nov-12 21:45:02

That would be a mega reply, not a mere reply!

clarexbp Sun 18-Nov-12 00:06:05

That's fab Goonatic - thank you for having the patience to write it all out twice :-)

Goonatic Sun 18-Nov-12 10:55:21

grin

Newbizmum Sat 01-Dec-12 04:22:09

I love the idea of helping but the greatest help might not be Christmas but perhaps paying the gas or electricity bill. It could even be the mortgage.

Yet I understand you might feel a little upset if none was spent on Christmas but if you are sure they will not squander it on iphones and booze, cash is the best offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now