Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

WWYD both DC want the same toy for Christmas?

(54 Posts)
MrsCantSayAnything Tue 06-Nov-12 23:18:00

My DDs are 8 and almost 5 and they both want one of those silly "grabber" toys...you know, like a carnival thing...where the claw grabs things.

I can't bring myself to buy two!

Do I have to? Do you?

I kno this is not strictly AIBU...but hell...the rules of MN have been skewed lately anyway! grin

bigpaws Thu 08-Nov-12 05:01:03

My two DDs are getting a lot of duplicate gifts this year. They play so nicely together and like the same type of toys. They don't get a vast amount, so why should they share? Christmas is for the kids. Get them one each - or could you put it under the tree as a family present? I did that once with a wii game.

LovesGSD Wed 07-Nov-12 14:02:52

Get them one each, like you say their cousin has one and keeps them amused for ages smile make the most of Xmas when their small because when you have teenagers you'll look back on their wee faces when your kids opening the toy and wish you could go back to that ageblush

Chunkamatic Wed 07-Nov-12 12:22:05

I have to say that I think that for the price this has quite a limited play value, so would get them one to share. It is easily something they can take a turn with while the other eats the sweets from their turn.

It would have been exactly the sort of toy I would have coveted at a friends house but only played with for s short time if it was my own as a child.

At £25 a piece I would get one to share and then get them each something individually with the remaining £25.

imnotmymum Wed 07-Nov-12 12:00:26

Wow nanny state did not know they so on the ball [looks over shoulder]

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 11:55:35

i think they moved it because I said that "I know this is not strictly AIBU"

grin

imnotmymum Wed 07-Nov-12 11:53:14

BTW never knew there was a WWYD. Is this new??

imnotmymum Wed 07-Nov-12 11:52:38

I was envisaging a great huge arcade type thing and wondering how to keep filling it thinking they must be about £500. If they are cheap one each definitely.

WTF??

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 07-Nov-12 11:37:26

Hi all,

We've moved this to WWYD now.

Mrscantsay, we bought that last year to share between dd"s and it worked, we also got the chocolate fountain and candy floss maker. They still share them all well now.

SneakyNuts Wed 07-Nov-12 11:21:38

*them

SneakyNuts Wed 07-Nov-12 11:21:31

My Mum used to get the in different colours, saved a lot of arguing!

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 11:14:54

The one that Hec linked to is the same as my nieces and it's quite sturdy and heavy...not flimsy. It plays the most AWFUL cod Fairground music though.

valiumredhead Wed 07-Nov-12 11:07:59

Oh God,my ds would LOVE that! I am fed of of explaining that the arcade type ones are rigged and you never get anything from them! I thought you meant a stick type grabber OP.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 10:57:40

And its not crappy at all it's very good fun. They work well and engage the child's attention for a long time.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 10:56:41

Hec that's it yes.Gwendoline you can be mean on another thread...that's a horrible comment to make to someone who doesn't have a lot to spend.

If GwendolineMaryLacey (love the name btw!) is right then buy 2, if hecatePropylae is right, why would you even want one????

Actually Hec, you might be right, having re-read the OP. What a crappy toy grin Children are bonkers!

KnockKnockPenny Wed 07-Nov-12 10:43:28

Where can I buy one for me DH?

HecatePropylaea Wed 07-Nov-12 10:37:09

I'm assuming it's this thing which is identical to the one my brother had. We fought over it even though it was never mine and he mourned it so much that I bought him another one a couple of Christmases ago. He's 37 grin

WineOhWhy Wed 07-Nov-12 10:21:16

no way would i get 2 of those. That is a definite sharer toy. Presumably they are able to share the one at their cousins? They can each get a bag of sweets or whatever to use with it. My DDs (admittedly closer in age) always get a game to share in additon to their main present.

CockBollocks Wed 07-Nov-12 10:13:07

If it is what they have both specifically asked for then buy one each.

Seems a bit mean not to.

shewhowines Wed 07-Nov-12 10:12:24

Dewe I think you are thinking of something different - the long arm grabber type thing which is way cheaper than the fairground grabber in the box type thing the op means.

Yes i would buy two cheap things but not two of what the op means.

DeWe Wed 07-Nov-12 10:06:03

They'll have more fun with one each. My three got one each as a party gift, and they invented games with them, like putting pieces of paper in the middle of the room and who could pick most up. Either name them or get different colours though otherwise if one breaks it will always belong to the "other one".

I used to hate shared gifts. They basically never got to me as my dm used to say I had the smallest room so couldn't keep it in mine. Then I wasn't allowed in my siblings rooms to get it... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now