WWYD both DC want the same toy for Christmas?

(54 Posts)
MrsCantSayAnything Tue 06-Nov-12 23:18:00

My DDs are 8 and almost 5 and they both want one of those silly "grabber" toys...you know, like a carnival thing...where the claw grabs things.

I can't bring myself to buy two!

Do I have to? Do you?

I kno this is not strictly AIBU...but hell...the rules of MN have been skewed lately anyway! grin

valiumredhead Wed 07-Nov-12 08:35:15

I think it's pretty shit having to share your xmas present unless it's something like a games console that you really don't need two of. I'd be massively hacked off if I was expected to share my xmas pressie. Sharing is massively over rated imo wink

shewhowines Wed 07-Nov-12 08:35:16

i must be very mean. I wouldn't buy two of an overpriced (I bet they are £20 each minimum) load of plastic tat that they will lose interest in almost immediately because they never work as well as they should.

Yes, one each if they are less than £10 - share if more. But then I suppose it depends where it is on the christmas list. If it is at the top of the list then i suppose you may have to buy one each. If they are further down. Definitely not. Also how many other things do they want? If the list is as long as your arm then definitely share.

Having to share will keep their interest in it even longer though.

I'm with you Op. I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy two.

HecatePropylaea Wed 07-Nov-12 08:36:49

Whether they will remain interested in it depends on the child. Because their cousins have, does not mean they will.

Mine have one. Pestered, pestered, pestered. Played with it solidly for a week and never touched it since.

This is possibly because I refused to keep reloading it with sweets and they weren't interested in having other things in there to grab grin

it was this one

I think the PP's suggestion of buying one crane, alongside a coin pusher thing is a really good one. Tub of toothrot candy floss and a box of popcorn and they can have all the fun of the fair.

<< removes rose tinted specs>> grin

DeWe Wed 07-Nov-12 10:06:03

They'll have more fun with one each. My three got one each as a party gift, and they invented games with them, like putting pieces of paper in the middle of the room and who could pick most up. Either name them or get different colours though otherwise if one breaks it will always belong to the "other one".

I used to hate shared gifts. They basically never got to me as my dm used to say I had the smallest room so couldn't keep it in mine. Then I wasn't allowed in my siblings rooms to get it... hmm

shewhowines Wed 07-Nov-12 10:12:24

Dewe I think you are thinking of something different - the long arm grabber type thing which is way cheaper than the fairground grabber in the box type thing the op means.

Yes i would buy two cheap things but not two of what the op means.

CockBollocks Wed 07-Nov-12 10:13:07

If it is what they have both specifically asked for then buy one each.

Seems a bit mean not to.

WineOhWhy Wed 07-Nov-12 10:21:16

no way would i get 2 of those. That is a definite sharer toy. Presumably they are able to share the one at their cousins? They can each get a bag of sweets or whatever to use with it. My DDs (admittedly closer in age) always get a game to share in additon to their main present.

I'm assuming it's this thing which is identical to the one my brother had. We fought over it even though it was never mine and he mourned it so much that I bought him another one a couple of Christmases ago. He's 37 grin

HecatePropylaea Wed 07-Nov-12 10:37:09
KnockKnockPenny Wed 07-Nov-12 10:43:28

Where can I buy one for me DH?

Actually Hec, you might be right, having re-read the OP. What a crappy toy grin Children are bonkers!

If GwendolineMaryLacey (love the name btw!) is right then buy 2, if hecatePropylae is right, why would you even want one????

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 10:56:41

Hec that's it yes.Gwendoline you can be mean on another thread...that's a horrible comment to make to someone who doesn't have a lot to spend.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 10:57:40

And its not crappy at all it's very good fun. They work well and engage the child's attention for a long time.

valiumredhead Wed 07-Nov-12 11:07:59

Oh God,my ds would LOVE that! I am fed of of explaining that the arcade type ones are rigged and you never get anything from them! I thought you meant a stick type grabber OP.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 11:14:54

The one that Hec linked to is the same as my nieces and it's quite sturdy and heavy...not flimsy. It plays the most AWFUL cod Fairground music though.

SneakyNuts Wed 07-Nov-12 11:21:31

My Mum used to get the in different colours, saved a lot of arguing!

SneakyNuts Wed 07-Nov-12 11:21:38

*them

Mrscantsay, we bought that last year to share between dd"s and it worked, we also got the chocolate fountain and candy floss maker. They still share them all well now.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 07-Nov-12 11:37:26

Hi all,

We've moved this to WWYD now.

WTF??

imnotmymum Wed 07-Nov-12 11:52:38

I was envisaging a great huge arcade type thing and wondering how to keep filling it thinking they must be about £500. If they are cheap one each definitely.

imnotmymum Wed 07-Nov-12 11:53:14

BTW never knew there was a WWYD. Is this new??

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 11:55:35

i think they moved it because I said that "I know this is not strictly AIBU"

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now