WWYD both DC want the same toy for Christmas?

(54 Posts)
MrsCantSayAnything Tue 06-Nov-12 23:18:00

My DDs are 8 and almost 5 and they both want one of those silly "grabber" toys...you know, like a carnival thing...where the claw grabs things.

I can't bring myself to buy two!

Do I have to? Do you?

I kno this is not strictly AIBU...but hell...the rules of MN have been skewed lately anyway! grin

Whatdoiknowanyway Tue 06-Nov-12 23:19:53

Buy one and they share. If that's a problem then neither gets one. You don't 'have' to do anything.

WorraLiberty Tue 06-Nov-12 23:20:34

No mine have always shared if they want the same thing.

We sell it to them that it means they get to pick two shared toys grin

If they're into carnival toys, how about getting the 2p pusher too?

2 of mine wanted that very same toy last year. They had great fun sharing it.

My mum and dad always bought my brothers the same toys and there was absolute carnage when they both wanted to play with the toy... I would go with one each myself but I only have 1 child so...dunno really smile

MrsCantSayAnything Tue 06-Nov-12 23:30:03

I can't see a share working because of their age dfference. They are good at sharing generally but it feels unfair to make them share a Christmas gift that they BOTH want.

pinkyp Tue 06-Nov-12 23:30:39

Share smile

MrsCantSayAnything Tue 06-Nov-12 23:35:09

They've never had a shared Christmas gift! I don't know who to label it for! BOth? They'll fight I know they will.

I decide on a case by case basis (See how I sound all In Control and In Charge and shit there? grin ) How much more fighting will having to share cause?
Things like Nintendo DS, they have one each - things they can technically, if they stop fucking bickering long enough play with together, they get one to share. That said, no3 and no4 son sometimes get the same Annual as they have puzzle pages and things in, and they each like the same things. They are cheap though, so it's not really any hardship to get them one each - the price does play a part my mam bought them the DSs

higgyjig Wed 07-Nov-12 01:39:15

I really do not anticipate a frenzied fight over a grabber toy beyond Boxing Day.

JessicaLub Wed 07-Nov-12 01:45:45

Buy them just the one toy.
Sit back, invite David Attenborough to film so he can see evolution in situ.

For God's sake, buy them the one toy. They'll find their own level, like water . If they fight. that's what siblings do. That's what Christmas is all about.

meee123 Wed 07-Nov-12 01:53:05

Can you get them in different colours .That's what i would do smile

sparkleyangel Wed 07-Nov-12 02:08:25

Buy them one each, then they can play together leaving you to sit down and relax.

sashh Wed 07-Nov-12 07:19:19

Don't get one to share. You might as well just get one for the older child and not the younger one.

<not bitter about older sibling getting all the 'shared' toys, honest hmm>

PastaDee Wed 07-Nov-12 07:34:24

Sashh as an eldest child I'd say I was bitter about being told to not be childish and let me younger sibling have whatever we were supposed to share!

We used to get a present addressed to the whole family from Santa. Usually a board game that would then be kept in a cupboard not in either child's bedroom. Would this work although the draw back is you'd have to play with it too!

PastaDee Wed 07-Nov-12 07:35:34

Grrr. MY younger sibling.

exoticfruits Wed 07-Nov-12 07:38:08

I would get them one each. As the eldest I hated being the one who was supposed to be understanding because I was older. It will be more fun for them anyway if they can use them together.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 07:52:40

I will get them one each....as for it not being of interest beyond Boxing day whoever said that is wrong. Their cousins have one and they obsess over it and have never tired of it.

nokidshere Wed 07-Nov-12 07:56:06

It depends what it is and how much it costs.

Depends on what and how expensive the toy is, if they both wanted an x-box they'd share it, if they both wanted a nerf gun they'd get one each, and if they both wanted a cheap thing I buy one each.

twooter Wed 07-Nov-12 08:00:37

If you get one each you can guarantee they will lose interest in it 100 times quicker than if you just get the one. Then you can bin them/sell them by February.

RubyGates Wed 07-Nov-12 08:12:37

Hire a real one:
www.funtimehire.co.uk/arcade-games-for-hire/grab-crane.html

Stick the rest of their presents in it.

Send it back when they get bored.

valiumredhead Wed 07-Nov-12 08:12:56

Seriously, how much are they - a fiver tops? Why would you set yourself up for the mother of all tantrums about sharing? It's not like they want an x box each is it? grin

Buy two if you think they will love it and play with it.

QuickLookBusy Wed 07-Nov-12 08:22:21

Yes it depends on the price.

If they are only a fiver I'd definitely get one each. Especially as they're both desperate for one. Can you imagine their little disappointed faces on Christmas morning if you only bought onesad.

You'd feel such a bad mummygrin

There is a crane grabber on Argos which grabs squinkie figures and dispenses them in the 2 for thirty pound. I'd get two if that's the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now