my 20 weeks old has turned into a thumb sucker and wont take his dummy

(15 Posts)
aliphil Tue 06-Nov-12 15:32:30

A baby never wakes up and cries because they can't find their thumb

Yours might not, Wigeon, but my DD does, almost every night! I imagine it will get better as she gets more practice though.

HarlettOScara Sat 03-Nov-12 19:57:31

My Mum didn't believe in giving dummies with the result that I sucked my thumb until I was 20 - only stopped because I got my tongue pierced and couldn't physically do it anymore. My brother sucked his thumb until he was about 11 or 12.

Our teeth are fine and neither of us required any orthodontic treatment. Who knows why some childrens' teeth are affected and some aren't? Maybe those that are would have needed orthodontic work anyway and thumbsucking just exacerbated an underlying problem?

SoupDragon Sat 03-Nov-12 11:30:57

DS1 (13) sucked his thumb from 4 weeks old until about 8.5 yrs.
He has beautiful teeth and a fabulous square jaw.
He has also had over £4k worth of ongoing private orthodontic treatment to correct the damage.

DD has sucked her thumb since she was 2.5 (FFS! She didn't bloody well need it for 2.5 yrs, why start?!)
She has ugly teeth and a receding lower jaw.
Once her top front milk teeth fall out she will start over £5k worth or private orthodontic treatment to correct the damage. In a few years she will also have beautiful teeth and a lovely jawline.

If you want to stop them, my orthodontist recommends putting long socks on both arms under their PJs at night. I wonder if a large pair of tights worn like a shrug would work better.

Anyway, is the extortionate amount of money I am spending and the pain/discomfort my children have gone through to correct the damage done to my their faces and teeth through thumbsucking worth the peaceful years of self-comforting....? I don't know.

DS2 never sucked his thumb and did still have the private orthodontic treatment to correct damage done by always having his mouth open so its not clearcut. His problems were far less severe than either of his siblings though.

Kinora Sat 03-Nov-12 10:10:15

DD1 is still a thumb sucker at 14. We have tried allsorts to make her stop without success. Luckily she isn't a strong sucker iyswim and she has lovely teeth.

Really not sure what you can do <unhelpful>

We went down the dummy route with dd2 and managed to wean her off it on her 3rd birthday.

Meglet Sat 03-Nov-12 09:49:59

You can't stop them at that age, thumbs are far easier than dummies.

DS is almost 6 and still sucks his thumb. I've been trying to lay down the law about not doing it as he's messing his teeth up, I think he's doing it a bit less these days but it'll be a long time before he finally cracks it.

Don't stress about it. As others have said, they grow out of it in time. My DS sucked his thumb until he was 7/8 and my dentist told him he needed to stop. He's almost 16 now and is 2 years into extensive orthodontic treatment. The first 9 months were spent correcting the damage his thumb sucking had done.

In hindsight would I have tried harder to stop him? No. He needed the comfort at the time and a brace is not the end of the world.

biglips Sat 03-Nov-12 09:22:47

Wigeon.....i dont want to take his comfort away from him but I heard its harder to wean them off their thumb than dummy. Like I said im new to this.

HarlettOScara Sat 03-Nov-12 09:13:33

YY, Wigeon. I tried to give DD a dummy but she refused in favour of her thumbs. She's only 18 weeks (and my PFB) so I'm inclined to go with the flow because I can see how sucking her thumb instantly comforts and settles her when she needs it. Can't think how I would stop her anyway, short of taping mittens to her hands.

DorsetKnob Sat 03-Nov-12 09:12:07

DD was a thumb sucker, stopped by herself when she was 5

Wigeon Sat 03-Nov-12 09:04:40

Also, they suck their thumbs in the night, in their sleep, and you are never going to be able to stop that (unless you keep an all-night vigil by their cot!).

Wigeon Sat 03-Nov-12 09:03:48

Both my DDs suck their thumbs and have done since they were around 11 weeks old. My advice:

You are never going to be able to force him to take a dummy

A thumb is always there and never gets lost

A baby never wakes up and cries because they can't find their thumb

Why on earth would you stop a baby comforting themselves? What kind of message do you send to a baby if each time they try to comfort themselves you stop them?

I don't know anyone who has persuaded a baby to take a dummy, or stopped a baby sucking its thumb.

TobyLerone Sat 03-Nov-12 09:03:10

It's ok.

DD sucked her thumb until she was 3 or 4 I think. She just grew out of it.

OwedToAutumn Sat 03-Nov-12 09:02:12

DS sucked his thumb until he was about 4, I think.

Then we bribed him with a toy to stop, and he stopped overnight.

I'm not really sure there is anything we could've done to stop him before that.

Tee2072 Sat 03-Nov-12 08:58:26

At 20 weeks, I would let him have whatever he needs for comfort.

biglips Sat 03-Nov-12 08:56:37

As he did have a dummy in the first 3 wks and then he was ok without one. How do I get him to take his dummy as he keeps on pushing it out of his mouth or is it too late.

Both of my girls was never a thumb sucker or had dummies so this is new to me

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now