Taking sniffly ds to see newborn?

(9 Posts)
louloutheshamed Fri 02-Nov-12 11:59:26

I have arranged to go and see my friends newborn ds today, 1 week old. Last night my ds, 22 mo was coughing a little bit during he night and he is napping now and has coughed a couple of times, but seems right as rain when he is awake. Would it be wrong of me to go and see newborn- should I cancel?

I would postpone.

DawnOfTheDee Fri 02-Nov-12 12:03:30

Agree with Goodnight....would postpone or could you leave your ds with someone while you visit your friend?

stargirl1701 Fri 02-Nov-12 12:04:10

You should cancel. I have an 8 week LO and I would be unhappy if you came round sniffly.

WalterandWinifred Fri 02-Nov-12 12:05:49

I would err on the side of caution. We nearly lost DS2 at two weeks old when he came down with a virus (turned out to be rhinovirus). We were rushed to hospital by ambulance from GP surgery and stayed in for a week. Friends has visited the week before with a snuffly toddler who went on to have a nasty cold. Who knows whether or not he caught it from her but the timings would have been right. I just wouldn't risk it with any future children and won't visit any newborns with any hint of illness, just in case.

LoopyLoopsOlympicHoops Fri 02-Nov-12 12:11:39

PFB newborn? Definitely postpone.

Subsequent child? Ring and ask.

Kalisi Sat 03-Nov-12 15:43:46

One week old? No way, wouldn't go.

VolumeOfACone Sat 03-Nov-12 16:12:38

Postpone. My friend's DD is in hospital at two weeks old with what seems to have been just a cold. Colds can be serious at that age.

louloutheshamed Sat 03-Nov-12 19:31:04

I went but left ds at home as dh finished work early. Good job as ds is worse today with snot and slight temp sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now