I've just bought a bed for £1.42 but

(62 Posts)
ohmichellemichelle Sun 14-Oct-12 12:21:18

The seller (eBay) has contacted me this morning saying they cannot possibly sell the bed for £1.42 as they bought it (years ago) for £500. Personally I wouldn't have paid 500 quid for it not then and not now. I have other beds in my 'watch' list which I like better but may go out of my budget. I agree that £1.42 is beyond bargainous. However, I wouldn't pay more than £20 for this bed.

The seller has asked me to pay £75 for it plus I have to go collect the damned thing.

Wwyd? They have 100% feedback on 250 odd transactions incidentally.

I don't want to pay more, I don't want to negative feedback them particularly, but I am cross.

BodyOfEeyore Sun 14-Oct-12 21:05:22

No, don't offer more. They were trying to avoid paying for a reserve price and it backfired.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 14-Oct-12 21:11:24

I was going to ask if they were new to ebay and therefore a bit naive and inexperienced but I've found the listing and they're not new to it by any means.

The silly thing is if they'd listed it this weekend they could have started it at any price for nothing as its free listings!

Ponders Sun 14-Oct-12 21:17:50

were you planning to use the (used-by-2-children-for-the-last-11-years shock) mattress? I mean even though it is an odd size, surely you'd rather get a new one?

if you weren't, maybe offer them £20 just for the bed & let them dispose of the mattress (but have a good prod of it/turn it over first just in case you think it will be ok)

Turn up with your coins. You won it fair and square.

twitchypalm Sun 14-Oct-12 21:42:43

I wond a toddler bed on ebay once for 99p it was a teddy design one so easily worth more. it was about a 1hr 30 min drive to collect but def worth it. We gave the seller £5 for it as i felt cheecky paying 99p for a bed the seller was really shocked that we paid higher than it went for but it was def worth it and she was a lovely seller so i didnt mind. If she had asked me for more money i would have just reported her to ebay.

Ponders Sun 14-Oct-12 21:49:55

Give them £1.50 & tell them they can keep the change wink

izzywizzyisbizzy Sun 14-Oct-12 22:07:02

I'd offer them £20 cash - if that's what you want to pay.

Otherwise let them relist

Unacceptable Mon 15-Oct-12 08:33:11

Go get your bed and pay what you won it for.
I clearly jinxed myself with my earlier comment as my item went for just over a quid!!! The point is we know what the possibilities are with ebay so can always advertise on gumtree or similar if there is a particular price we want.
Pay your £1.50 and enjoy the bed
(and Hi there to the mumsnet ebay seller...don't you fancy joining the thread wink )

imtheonlyone Mon 15-Oct-12 14:07:57

Absolutely pay the price you won it for .... She may have back tracked now but has probably realised that you would report them and they would end up with negative feedback! The reason she is being so nice now!!!!

You won it fair and square at £1.42 - turn up with your pennies and get the bed you won!!!! Don't feel bad - their mistake; not yours!!!

Smile every time you lay your little one in your beautiful bed at a truly bargain price wink

Campari Mon 22-Oct-12 16:03:19

Obviously it was a mistake on their part, so maybe you could both agree to cancel the transaction and forget all about it.

....Or if they don't agree to cancel, definately leave negative feedback.

Did you get it in the end?

I once won a sofa for 99p, traveled a few miles for it and gave them £1 and told them to keep the change! grin

MrsFruitcake Sun 04-Nov-12 08:51:56

I sold my very beautiful welsh dresser for £3.44 in this way. I wasn't upset though, had only paid a fiver for it in the first place and wanted it gone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now