I've just bought a bed for £1.42 but

(62 Posts)
ohmichellemichelle Sun 14-Oct-12 12:21:18

The seller (eBay) has contacted me this morning saying they cannot possibly sell the bed for £1.42 as they bought it (years ago) for £500. Personally I wouldn't have paid 500 quid for it not then and not now. I have other beds in my 'watch' list which I like better but may go out of my budget. I agree that £1.42 is beyond bargainous. However, I wouldn't pay more than £20 for this bed.

The seller has asked me to pay £75 for it plus I have to go collect the damned thing.

Wwyd? They have 100% feedback on 250 odd transactions incidentally.

I don't want to pay more, I don't want to negative feedback them particularly, but I am cross.

windsurf74 Sun 14-Oct-12 12:23:23

Well then, they should have started the bidding higher than 99p then shouldn't they?!

If you want it, and don't mind paying more, then by all means do that.

But you won it fair and square for £1.42, so go ahead and give bad feedback if they refuse to sell for that!

NatashaBee Sun 14-Oct-12 12:23:31

Their own fault - they should have put a reserve on it. You could mutually agree to cancel the transaction, or report the seller if they refuse to sell.

They have entered into a contract so are obliged to sell it to you. Either turn ip to collect, or leave it and give negative feedback. They should have put a reserve on it. Their fault.

BlameItOnTheCuervForHumanBlood Sun 14-Oct-12 12:25:03

Their own fault and ebay will find in your favour.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 14-Oct-12 12:25:24

Well you see I'd normally offer a bit more in this situation but I wouldn't dream of doing so if the seller asked me to hmm

That's out of order

They made a mistake listing it at such a low price, it was their mistake, if they don't want to go through with it then suggest they cancel and relist - but yes I'd leave negative feedback stating why.

I thought that the winning bid was in.effect a contract between buyer and seller.

You are under no obligation to pay more.

I agree that they should have put a reserve on or higher start price if they wanted more for it!! I would hold out for it if I were you, and give negative feedback if they refuse to sell.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 14-Oct-12 12:29:12

I agree with the others, TBH.

What they paid for the bed has no revleance on what it is worth now. It's their tough luck, they should have started the bidding higher, or put a reserve on it.

imtheonlyone Sun 14-Oct-12 12:29:23

They should honour the fact that it has sold for £1.42. If they wanted at least £75 for it, they have the option to set a reserve for the item or even set the starting bid at a certain level.
Personally I have no time for people like this. You can raise a dispute with eBay - really they are not in a position to ask any more money for it because it has sold at £1.42. I would defo raise this with eBay because people like this make a mockery of the whole eBay process.
Also, I would absolutely leave them negative feedback - it is totally inappropriate what they are doing.
Please raise a dispute with eBay - they are totally unreasonable!
Good luck!

YeahBuddy Sun 14-Oct-12 12:29:56

That's not your fault - if they wanted £75 for it then they should have put a reserve of £75 or Buy It Now. I would contact eBay and get their advice, the Live Chat thing is very good for issues like this.

Catsmamma Sun 14-Oct-12 12:31:02

cheeky gets! ....too bad for them

I'd offer £20 and ask if they'd deliver. <evil>

Ponders Sun 14-Oct-12 12:31:53

ebay would look askance at a buyer trying to up the price outside ebay, wouldn't they? they lose their cut that way.

very naughty of the seller. definitely dob them in, tight gets grin

GhostShip Sun 14-Oct-12 12:33:34

Tell them they should have put a reserve on it and you are now the winning bidder, and it is a binding contract. Put a case in with Ebay NOW, because they'll read the messages back and forward. Its just because the seller will use some cop out like it's damaged so they can't sell it...

ShatnersBassoon Sun 14-Oct-12 12:35:27

More fool them for not understanding auctions, stick with the price you bid. It will be awkward going to collect it, but they shouldn't use ebay if they won't take the rough with the smooth (or work out how to set a reserve!).

SoupDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 12:35:45

The reality is that you can't force the seller to let you have the bed for £1.42

If they refuse to do so, I'd raise a case with Ebay and leave them damning negative feedback.

HarlettOScara Sun 14-Oct-12 12:39:41

They can't be forced to complete the same now but it's bad form not to. You should riase a non performing seller report and leave appropriate feedback. E-bay can impose sanctions against repeat offenders. If they ask you to agree to a mutual withdrawal from the sale, refuse.

The seller has obviously listed at 99p to avoid paying listing fees. I really hate sellers that are too stupid to be on e Bay in the first place.

IDontDoIroning Sun 14-Oct-12 12:41:30

As posters have said it is a contract but in reality you cannot force her to sell you the bed.

She should have put a reserve on it - but that's not your fault and she can't ask you to pay more. She should have used gumtree or freeads and put a fixed asking price.

If you really want it you could offer more but that's up to you and it is against the eBay rules.

Otherwise just put in a non performing seller strike on her and leave negative feedback.

ohmichellemichelle Sun 14-Oct-12 12:42:49

I have to say I agree with all of you. The only thing making me hesitate is that it was perhaps foolishness rather than them chancing their arm. There were only 2 bids during auction so clearly nobody else wanted it or thought it worth hundreds of pounds. They have said they realise they should have set a reserve. I can only assume over-confidence in the desirability of their item meant they didn't.

I don't want to make anybody miserable for the hell of it. At this stage for me, all I've lost is a little time on this. But it does seem unfair on future buyers to not expose this occurrence by way of leaving neg. feedback.

I would honour the sale if it were me, and thrash myself about the head for being such a tool when listing.

SoupDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 12:45:13

Are you prepared to pay £20 for it? If so, offer them that if you want the bed. Otherwise, report and leave negative feedback.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 14-Oct-12 12:45:30

You could offer them a compromise - say 20 - if that is your limit, but then leave neutral - which I think is fair.

Or you could agree to cancel the transaction.

Don't pay them £70 or whatever it was they asked for.

Just don't - if you are without a bed, they should be without a buyer.

Really out of order on their part.

ENormaSnob Sun 14-Oct-12 12:45:37

I would contact eBay.

No way would I offer any more.

They should've put a reserve or starting bidding higher if they wanted a minimum amount.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 14-Oct-12 12:46:16

Oh and if they relist it they'll probably get no bids - I am desperate to see this valuable bed now smile

ENormaSnob Sun 14-Oct-12 12:47:31

I would leave negative too.

izzywizzyisbizzy Sun 14-Oct-12 12:48:09

Nope I would pay - I'd just cancel transaction tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now