When you know your adult son is deeply unhappy and lonely?

(33 Posts)
hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 08-Oct-12 22:53:48

My DS is 20, he has Asperger's and lives about 2.5 hours away from home. I know he's deeply unhappy and lonely, his boss is making his life hell and he's lonely because his autism means making friends is hard for him. He lives in an extremely grotty bedsit with poor heating, manky sanitary conditions and poor security.

I am very worried about his mental health but I don't know what to do.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 09-Oct-12 16:31:48

'one', he works for a one man band not an on man.

Brycie Tue 09-Oct-12 21:48:30

Good luck again, to both of you.

pippop1 Thu 11-Oct-12 17:25:46

Would he have time for a weekend away? You could come up and both stay in a hotel for a weekend to cheer him up. Perhaps you could visit somewhere connected with a hobby of his e.g. there's a Star Trek exhibition on in London that a member of my family would love.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 12-Oct-12 17:45:43

pippop1 He'd love a weekend away and after reading your suggestion we are trying to get him to Alton Towers with his sister and her boyfriend for either Fright night or a fireworks night. Thank you.

Selks Fri 12-Oct-12 19:59:05

Lovely to read of all the positive suggestions to try and brighten things up for your son smile Wishing you both well.

pippop1 Tue 16-Oct-12 00:21:27

I hope he has fun at Alton Towers. Some of the value of a holiday is the looking forwards to it. Keeps you going I find.

deboster Fri 02-Nov-12 11:21:05

Desperate for gift ideas, that don't need physically packaging and posting.
My Niece just had her first baby in Canada and I'm in England, I won't be able to see them until Spring time, so I want to give them a really special gift.

deboster Fri 02-Nov-12 11:22:37

Sorry i'm new to mumsnet and meant to start a new threat.
BTW i have a 20 year old and my heart goes out to you, there's some great advise from people on this thread that i will use also.
Good luck, I hope things improve for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now