How much should I offer my friend for bills? Advice Please!

(6 Posts)

retrospectively - blooming autocorrect!

She cant really ask you to cover bills introspectively, as you have asked and she has not confirmed until now.

I think you should pay 2/3 of £300 from now on, though, if she is asking now.

You might not have taken the room with her if you knew you would be paying rent plus £200 pcm

MummytoKatie Sat 13-Oct-12 18:29:56

The difference between her pre-you bills and her post-you bills (council tax will have gone up for starters) plus a little extra.

Then you will all be paying less than you would have itherwise.

Shutupanddrive Mon 08-Oct-12 19:11:44

Do you have a contract? You have offered to pay towards bills before now and she didn't accept so I think its a bit unfair to ask you to cough up for 18 months worth of bills now

nextphase Mon 17-Sep-12 17:51:17

How much was she paying in bills per month before you moved in?
What about paying the difference between her previous bills, and what she's been paying while your there?

mrsboring Mon 17-Sep-12 12:59:42

My DH and I have been living with our friend in her flat for 18 months. We pay rent for our room. When we moved in, the rent was agreed and no mention of bills was made. I did ask whether we could/should contribute and she didn't seem bothered about it. Our rent was increased after a year, a reasonable amount, and I again asked if we could contribute to bills. After all there are two of us and one of her so we use more electricity etc.

She totted up her bills and it came to £300/month. Well, two thirds of that amount is a bit steep for us, especially applied retroactively. We are due to move out soon. She asked if I still wanted to contribute to the bills. I suggested that we agree a flat amount since we cannot afford £200/month for the whole 18 months we have been here. She agreed and asked me to suggest a figure.

Can anyone suggest to me a reasonable amount to offer? I don't want to offer too little, neither can I afford to give her a thousand pounds in one go. She makes more money than we do, owns the flat, and would not be pushy about it since she is reasonable and none of this was agreed prior to moving in. However I would like to contribute something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now