Is Caldicot a nice place to live ?

(18 Posts)
Ragwort Tue 18-Sep-12 08:20:17

I am sending you a private message Relocation - feel free to get in touch. smile

Relocation4us Mon 17-Sep-12 17:55:06

Thank shwmae ... I did see a few properties listed in Osbaston and thought they looked nice. There were also some other possibly newer properties that an agent told me would be walking distance of one of the local schools, maybe this is Rockfield ?
I think we have to have a good think and.... of course a visit.
Many thanks for your information, its really appreciated smile

shwmae Mon 17-Sep-12 17:06:06

Unless you live in town you will be driving the kids to school and clubs. Public transport is poor . However I live outside of Monmouth and the kids catch a school bus. Gloucester is a big commute, from what I gather it's not the distance it just gets very congested. Cheltenham is beautiful but I don know what it's like living there.

A lovely part of Monmouth IMHO is osbaston or perhaps a modern housing estate like rock field. In the centre of town are more period properties. All depends on what you are looking for. Rock field is within walking distance of everything so is osbaston.

Relocation4us Mon 17-Sep-12 16:30:15

Thanks, which area are you Ragwort ? You obviously like it there ?
We are currently in Northants. We have considered renting first too, but like you have said there is the schools to consider and if our first choice of area and school does not prove to be suitable its more upheaval for the children in moving schools again, like you have experienced and finding another area.

Ragwort Mon 17-Sep-12 16:06:39

Monmouth isn't very big, not aware if it has many particular 'areas' - I am not actually in Monmouth so perhaps Shwmae can answer that.

I still think it is quite a long commute to Gloucester - I would say at least an hour and a quarter.

Whereabouts do you live now?

We relocated recently and rented for a while first, it was a good decision as we didn't really like the first choice of area, however it did mean changing schools twice which is obviously not ideal for children.

Relocation4us Mon 17-Sep-12 15:07:08

Thanks Shwmae too :-)

Relocation4us Mon 17-Sep-12 15:06:38

Oops sorry, yes the Wye Valley looks lovely too :-)
Thanks Ragwort, yes I will have a look at Cheltenham too....a big decision when relocating and lots to consider, with priority on schools, job for me and a property in the right place of course. Would be nice to find somewhere where the children aren't reliant on me driving them or having to get coaches so if we find somewhere that allows them to walk to school even better :-)
As you are both in Monmouth, Im guessing, would you recommend particular areas to look at please - we heard it was a thriving town, so it was a location we did first look at :-)
Many thanks

Ragwort Mon 17-Sep-12 07:22:15

What about Cheltenham? Near to Gloucester and more job opportunities for you I would think.

shwmae - yes, we are quite new here, the Wye Valley is beautiful isn't it?

shwmae Sun 16-Sep-12 22:59:47

Gloucester about 1hr commute.....Brecon 1 hr but who needs Brecon when you have got the Wye valley ;) Monmouth town football club has a very active junior section. Ragwort; howdy neighbour ...it's a small world!

Relocation4us Sun 16-Sep-12 21:06:50

We thought probably 45-50 mins and had heard Monmouth / nearby was a good area and the thought of being not too far from the Brecons ?

Also I would need to try and find an office job fairly nearby as with the children I do not want to have to drive too far to work.

Ragwort Sun 16-Sep-12 20:10:58

Monmouth to Gloucester would be quite a long commute - any particular reason you don't want to be nearer to Gloucester?

Shwmae we must be near neighbours grin.

shwmae Sun 16-Sep-12 17:42:41

Both my children are in monmouth comprehensive and it has an excellent reputation. Monmouth is a thriving small town and has a mix of independent stores and wait rose etc. Beautiful countryside and within a 20 minute drive of m4. many small villages within easy reach too.

Relocation4us Sun 16-Sep-12 17:41:10

He would be working in Gloucester.

My children are both quite sporty - my son in particular a keen football player so it would be good if there were local clubs they could join too.
Thanks for your help.

Ragwort Sun 16-Sep-12 16:34:40

Monmouth is very nice (in my opinion more so than Caldicot); there are very nice areas nearer to Gloucestershire as well. Can you a be a bit more specific about where he will work as it could be quite a distance from Monmouth.

Relocation4us Sun 16-Sep-12 16:02:19

Thank you to Shwmae and Ragwort for your replies. My other half has the opportunity to work in Gloucestershire and therefore looking for somewhere that is a reasonable commutable distance.
Having looked on the web I came across many new properties in Caldicot that looked nice but obviously need to visit the area but in the meantime thought I would try and get some further information and recommendations.
Shwmae, what other areas would you recommend please ? Monmouth was another place we had considered and understand schooling is good there?

Ragwort Sun 16-Sep-12 14:46:51

It is quite a small place, where do you currently live? its got a nice Waitrose.

shwmae Sun 16-Sep-12 14:44:49

Not sure about schools but area is great for access to motorways etc. Not much there though. You would be shopping in Caldicot a very small village or Chepstow which is a bit larger. Can I ask why Caerwent? There are so many other places with great schools you could consider.

Relocation4us Sun 16-Sep-12 01:18:48

We are thinking of relocating and interested in views from residents in or near to Caerwent, Caldicot. I have a 10 year old and 12 year old so good schools are important.

All views would be appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now