Would you let almost 16 yr old ds drink at a wedding?

(11 Posts)
DietingAgain Sat 15-Sep-12 08:08:40

That's it really. Ds is almost 16 and we're going to a family wedding. On occasions have let him have a couple of small beers. Just wondering generally what other people think is ok. So would you let yr Ds have a drink and if so how many.

DietingAgain Sat 15-Sep-12 09:19:40

Anyone?

usualsuspect3 Sat 15-Sep-12 09:21:14

I would let him have a few,yes.

shrimponastick Sat 15-Sep-12 09:26:10

Yes, as long as you are in control of how much he drinks.

DSS is almost 16 and has a small glass of wine occasionally with dinner. He soon gets giddy and if any of the GP are topping up glasses I have to watch them (they all like a good drink).

DS is a year younger and he isn't interested in booze at all. A Tango or Coke is a major treat to him though...

Remotecontrolduck Sat 15-Sep-12 09:34:05

Absolutely nothing wrong with a few at a wedding 16. Promotes a healthy attitude to alcohol vs. being allowed nothing until 18 and going crazy.

DietingAgain Sat 15-Sep-12 09:49:52

Thanks feel a bit better. He seems a bit too eager and always wants more than the couple I let him have (he doesn't get more) and don't know whether this should be a worry or if in fact I was probably the same at that age and that's normal.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 15-Sep-12 09:51:26

Yes I would let him have a few.

I would allow the toast and thats it. Almost 16 is, afterall, 15.

colditz Sat 15-Sep-12 09:53:44

Yeah, probably. Almost16 is 15, and old enough to have a pint of beer with your mum. I'd rather my sons first experience of alcohol was a pint at a wedding with me that a bottle of vodka under a railway bridge.

colditz Sat 15-Sep-12 09:54:17

I'd put the limit at two pints though.

IloveJudgeJudy Sun 16-Sep-12 21:00:07

The last wedding we went to DD (15) who doesn't drink at all discovered vodka and coke (or rather DB and SIL introduced them). The amount she drank was a bit out of our control. She did have a few over a long time. Nothing bad happened. She got giggly and chatted. She hasn't drunk since then as she won't drink beer and isn't offered spirits at home. I say let him drink. In half pints or bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now