A move to Dorset?

(15 Posts)
lotti37 Mon 12-May-14 13:25:48

Summer loving - which area would you recommend looking that are nice but not too expensive . Good schools etc. I have posted a thread under the property thread about moving to dorset would appreciate some advice my head is spinning . Thank you

lotti37 Mon 12-May-14 13:23:07

Summerl

clurina32 Sun 11-May-14 21:23:17

Hi Pufflemum and other Dorset newcomers
I am moving from London to Shaftesbury in July. My husband has a new job so we're relocating and i'm leaving my job, my friends and everything I know! I am a little nervous that i'll find it hard to adjust.
We have a two year old son. Would love to know of good places to go in/near Shaftesbury with a toddler. Would also be interested to hear from anyone else who has made the big move from London /somewhere else and how you've found it? thanks!

Pufflemum Fri 09-May-14 09:20:28

Thanks Summer, sounds perfect. We are visiting this weekend and looking at some areas and houses. It's very exciting.

summerlovingliz Thu 08-May-14 13:06:44

We live on the christchurch/Bournemouth border with 2 young children and we love it. There is beach/river/forest on your doorstep. Good schools, shopping, restaurants etc. only 1.5 hr on train to Waterloo. Would not move for anything and consider us v lucky smile

Pufflemum Thu 08-May-14 13:02:06

Hi, we are in the process of planning a move to Dorset and I wondered if the people on this thread are still about or if anyone else has any advice?

emmakins Thu 31-Oct-13 22:48:26

Hi, can I ask how are you finding Dorset now and what part of Dorset you live in. I moved here from London too, and am finding it difficult finding my feet, so really related to your post and wondered if there was in fact light at the end of the tunnel? thanks, Cath xx

DialMforMummy Sat 08-Sep-12 21:34:18

Thank you angelpinkcar. You gave me food for thought.

angelpinkcar Thu 06-Sep-12 23:04:48

Hi there. I moved to Dorset from London nearly a year ago. Agreed its a lovely lovely environment for the DC's we are always on the beach and exploring the countryside around where we live. We have had to make some big sacrifices though. I have gone on a career break so we have only got one wage coming in, its very hard a lot harder than I imagined it would be. I commutted to london for 6 months and it was really hard for me and made me feel ill. There is very little work here and was hoping to transfer with my job but due to cuts etc they are not transfering at the moment. DH is away a lot and that has its own problems. I am actively looking for something else so can have a complete change to work around DC's more. I love it here I really do but think long and hard about the move as it has lots of pros and cons. If you want to know more pm me. Its a beautiful beautiful place and we have made a few friends. The schools are good the people are not so friendly in places and think we are all groccles (holiday makers/incommers). Parking is crap in the seaside towns and there are a lot much nicer pkaces then Weymouth and Poole (sorry weymouth and poole MN but its true). So my advice is buy a cheaper house, get your kids in a school first and make sure you have a job before you move, Also have you got any help where you will ge moving ie family because if not you will have to make friends very quickly.

Bookbrain Sat 01-Sep-12 21:48:14

Hello DialMforMummy

I made the move to Dorset from London 8 years ago just before our DS1 was born.

It's absolutely not a dump. The beaches, countryside and forest are genuinely wonderful. Having all that on our doorstep is something we have not yet started to take for granted. It's friendlier here, and safer, and the schools are good.

Bad points: it's not cheap - one of the worst ratios of house prices to average salary (mainly because of well-off retirees selling stupidly expensive houses in London and pushing up house prices). There are good jobs if you look for them but salaries aren't that high and you may have to commute. The thing I really notice compared to London is that it can be a bit of a cultural vacuum down here. London friends are always dipping into really cool events, interesting shops, etc and I miss that a lot. People here are lovely and warm but I have yet to meet someone I genuinely click with, whereas in London it seemed like there were loads of people on my wavelength.

Does that help at all? PLease feel free to send me a PM if you want.

DialMforMummy Sat 01-Sep-12 08:44:40

Thank you Pink. I was not sure where to post.

happierhigherstrongerwheezing Fri 31-Aug-12 13:03:10

Dorset is one of the most expensive counties and you could commute if needed to.
It's lovely there but I'm only a tourist!

pinkdelight Fri 31-Aug-12 13:00:34

You might get more replies in the property section of homes/gardens, that has lots of threads about moving to new areas. FWIW, I have a couple of different mates with families who have moved to the Bridport area and love it there. One still commutes to work in London part-time and it's a heck of a trek, but she feels it's worth it for the quality of life. It is lovely down there, certainly not a dump, but not exactly cheap and not awash with jobs I don't think.

DialMforMummy Thu 30-Aug-12 22:00:58

Anyone?

DialMforMummy Wed 29-Aug-12 12:55:33

DH and I currently live near London in a rather expensive area. We both ended there by accident but have been here a while and are quite well established: good friends, good jobs etc....
We do not own our house and could easily (ish) move jobs.
We have been talking for a while about leaving the area to move somewhere cheaper and, after much deliberation, we decided that the Dorset area seemed great. We like Weymouth especially but would consider Swanage or Bournemouth (Poole would be lovely but seems quite expensive).
Does it sound like a good idea? Or is Dorset actually a dump despite looking great wink?
We are in our mid thirties, have two DC, still babies but they will need a good primary in a couple years.
Any views/ feedback welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now