Nursery and knickers.....

(23 Posts)
CamperWidow Sat 30-Jun-12 20:10:12

Ok, so DD1 is in the long process of potty training. She goes to Nursery once a week. A couple of weeks ago her key worker said she's had a poo and it had 'gone everywhere and the knickers were beyond so I chucked them'. I was a bit hmm but she just carried on and I got swept away. Fast forward to yesterday and she had 2 accidents but there aren't any knickers to wash, and thinking back to last week I don't remember any. So that's at least 3 pairs of knickers they have thrown away.
Now I know that they are cheap and it's not the end of the world, but they are my property and don't I get to decide whether they are washable or not? They wouldn't do that with a t-shirt or trousers so why knickers? Also they were a mix of Dora/Disney Princess ones that she is fond of so I'm going to have to try and find some more of those.
WWYD? Can I request replacements or just ask them to send it all home for washing?

mirry2 Sat 30-Jun-12 20:11:24

Yuk. You'd better supply some nappy sacks

beachyhead Sat 30-Jun-12 20:13:46

No, I think you buy super cheap nicks from a supermarket and supply nursery with two packs and you with two packs....it will be worth it. After all, what are nursery supposed to do, just put them, with all the poo in, in a bag to take home.......

PrisonerOfWaugh Sat 30-Jun-12 20:14:11

We used to get them sent home in a nappy bag. They had done the bare minimum to get the solids off. TBH I binned quite a few pairs myself as couldn't face rinsing off dried poo (plus they had been sat in a hot bag all day).

I would send her in cheapo pairs and ask them not to bin unless they are beyond redemption. And keep your fingers crossed it isn't a long phase (DS only kept it up for a week).

JustFabulous Sat 30-Jun-12 20:15:35

Wee knickers are easy enough to put in a bag but ones with poo in pretty much have to go in the bin if someone other than mum/dad is dealing with them imo.

BonkeyMollocks Sat 30-Jun-12 20:16:52

If you really want them home then send them loads of bags to send them home in telling them this is what you want.

And buy plain cheapo pants, it really is much easier to chuck the pooey ones away than gag whilst trying to wash them.

CamperWidow Sat 30-Jun-12 20:47:41

They are cheapo ones from B&M, 5 for a couple of quid. They normally just put it all in a nappy sack (which I supply) with the trousers and anything else and I sort it out. I'm not asking them to scrape or wash for me! It just narked me abit that they are making the decision for me. Am I being tired and over-thinking this? I need to just let it go, don't I?

I asked nursery to bin soiled pants - they used to scrape all the poo off which must have been a horrible job. You can get character pants really cheaply in supermarkets

mumnosbest Sat 30-Jun-12 21:02:24

Yanbu. At work we bag up all soiled clothes and send them home. They are not mine to bin.

CamperWidow Sat 30-Jun-12 21:25:25

That's my point mums. They wouldn't dream of doing it with t-shirts or trousers and it's not the cost that really matters honest. I am really torn over this!

Nevercan Sat 30-Jun-12 21:53:45

I would agree it is not their place to throw them away. Ours were rinsed free as much as poss from wee and poo and then bagged up in a nappy sack and returned. I would ask them to do the same

Firawla Sat 30-Jun-12 21:56:13

I think you need to make it clear to them if you want it back, a lot of mums do just bin them if they have been pooed on so they probably chuck them without thinking too much about it, and if they realised you were not happy with it would probably be happy to shove them all in a nappy sack for you to collect.
It may be annoying, but i think it would be a bit off if you ask them for a replacement as I doubt they meant any harm by it?

Meglet Sat 30-Jun-12 21:57:12

I gave our nursery strict instructions to bin any poo-y pants. I wouldn't dream of making someone scrub poo off my kids underwear!

They send wet pants home in a nappy bag. And I forget they are in DD's bag for a week or two or three.

FWIW I have always binned poo-y pants at home.

Rubirosa Sat 30-Jun-12 21:59:10

Tell the nursery you want them back then, even the really pooey ones, and supply some nappy sacks.

If the children's bags are stored somewhere accessible to children though, it might be a health and safety issue to put soiled knickers in them.

nappyaddict Sat 30-Jun-12 22:01:28

I was annoyed when DS' school did this too. Why not just put them straight in a bag and then if I wanted to bin them I could? I think I mostly annoyed because they were Next ones which are £10 for 3 pairs. Now I only send him in cheap Primark pants!

ReallyTired Sat 30-Jun-12 22:01:51

I have to admit I hated the enviromental idea of binning perfectly good pants because of poo. I don't see how its any worse for the nursery than coping with cloth nappies.

Disney cartoon knickers are expensive. I think you should send your daughter to nursery in boring knickers until she is better with the potty.

Even you tell them you want to keep the kickers they are likely to forget.

Iwillorderthefood Sat 30-Jun-12 22:07:46

I told nursery this as was horrified that they had thrown away the pants. It just did not feel right for them to assume this. This was with DD1 fast forward with DD2 their policy seems to have changed and they never bin soiled underwear. Tell them if it is not what you want to happen.

tb Tue 10-Jul-12 09:20:54

FWIW I can remember nursery binning a pair of dd's that were poo-covered. I was a bit sad as they were very pretty ones. A friend who was a nanny was shocked as she said any stains would have come out with a soak.

Don't remember any official policy, though.

hairytale Sat 14-Jul-12 23:36:22

Yabu! You want cheap knickers covered in shit to be bagged up, kept by and passed back to you? I think that us really strange.

ChippingInNeedsCoffee Sat 14-Jul-12 23:50:58

YANBU - it is not their decision whether to throw out your childs clothes or not. By the time you've cleaned up a small child in that much of a mess, washing out a pair of pants is nothing. What if they were a present from Nana or something? Getting pooey is not going to hurt them, getting thrown out is unacceptable. Definitely put fragranced nappy sacks in her bag and ask them to put them in those in her bag.

hairytale (etc) would you expect them to throw out her leggings/shorts/skirt or whatever? Or is it only pants you feel the nursery should be allowed to throw away?

anniejb01 Fri 13-Jun-14 20:32:59

Sorry I know this thread is old now but I need some advice! My daughter has been great potty training with ewes but will not go for poo in the toilet at all. Nursery seem to be making a really big deal of this every day in front of her at home time and putting the WHOLE POO and knickers in a bag for me to sort out.

Now I feel the same as a lot of people on here and I would not expect nursery staff to scrape or clean off her knickers but am I being unreasonable to expect them to at least flick off the whole turd into the toilet before bagging it up!?!?

Should I say something or just wait it out?

Ps I am not asking them to throw underwear away- they may be cheap but I am not throwing away perfectly good pants and buying 7 per week for her!x

Nevercan Sat 14-Jun-14 20:01:33

That is not a pleasant thing to send back :-( I would definately have a word. IMO They should get rid if the worst of it down the loo. Our nursery get the worst off, give it a quick rinse and then bag it up so you can decide what to do next. Most of the knickers I have washed like this come up fine. I sometimes think the younger staff who perhaps haven't had kids yet find this a bit gross and just try to bag it without touching it lol.

Nottinghill1 Fri 04-Jul-14 00:08:10

Yucky!!! I'd bin them too!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now