UH-OH.... Lovely friend has given me a fish pedicure voucher but the thought of it makes me cringe, WWYD?

(30 Posts)
MadreInglese Sun 03-Jul-11 17:07:21

My lovely friend put together a fab hamper of new baby goodies for me when DS was born last month and in it is a voucher for a fish pedicure.

I've given her a little thankyou card but I just know she'll keep asking whether I've been for it yet.

The thought of fish nibbling my feet is just yak <shudder> but my friend obviously loves it (she's been a few times) and it's so kind of her to think of me and I'd hate to upset her or waste her money by not using it.

WWYD?

I would give it back to her and say that it's a lovely thought but it freaks you out. I think most people who like them should understand that some people wouldn't like the idea wouldn't they? I'm with you though so I could be wrong!

MadreInglese Sun 03-Jul-11 17:24:16

I want to but have a feeling she'll be a little offended, not much other choice though I suppose

(I'm fairly sure she's heard me making loud retching noises about it in the past but must have forgotten)

Lie? Tell her you went, tried it and it really wasn't for you?

I hear you, I'd rather pull my own teeth out than let feet nibble my toes.

SarkySpanner Sun 03-Jul-11 20:07:41

Can you ask the salon to exchange for a different type of pedicure?

glasscompletelybroken Sun 03-Jul-11 20:11:30

I had one and it was fine - wouldn't say I would do it again but it wasn't as bad as I thought and my feet really did feel and look lovely afterwards!

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 03-Jul-11 20:13:26

Say "Thank you for the lovely thought, you are the most wonderful friend to me. But I just can't be doing with fish nibbling at my feet, I'm afraid. Have you got anyone else who would like the voucher". If she is offended after that then she is just plain daft.

Deaddei Sun 03-Jul-11 20:13:26

Give it to a school or charity tom bola.
Tell your friend it was ok, but you wouldn't have another one,

Tee2072 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:28:59

I just had one of those yesterday! It was very weird but kinda felt good!

Not for everyone, though. Thank her nicely and pass the voucher on.

PonceyMcPonce Sun 03-Jul-11 20:30:17

Tell her you tried it. And bought a voucher for her as offer running , then regift

clutteredup Sun 03-Jul-11 20:32:35

Friend of mine went , tried it for a few seconds and then freaked out- I should be honest and say you can't imagine anything more eeeew - but give it back to her as she likes it and can use it - if she's a friend I'm sure she'll understand.

Oh I have one of these booked for Wednesday. Slightly nervous now!!!

doozle Sun 03-Jul-11 20:53:26

Oh you can't give it back, that would be a bit rude, wouldn't it?

SarahLundsredJumper Sun 03-Jul-11 21:01:01

I saw people having these done in town the other day.
Seriously sticking yer feet in shitty fish water -are they mad?

Tee2072 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:02:10

How is different than putting your whole body in shitty fish water, i.e. the ocean/a pond/a lake/a river?

It is actually very soothing. And tickly! But it's only tickly at the beginning.

theyoungvisiter Sun 03-Jul-11 21:04:37

Presumably the salon is a general beauty salon? if so, just exchange for another kind of pedicure - it doesn't normally matter what the voucher says, they'll generally accept it for anything of equivalent value (or you can make up the difference, or spend the balance on products).

I don't think I'd want one either. No reason - just find it weird and feel a little sorry for the poor fish - think it must be quite stressful for them.

If you feel odd about telling her that you didn't want the fish then make something up - fish were off the menu the day you went but you had a lovely normal pedicure thanks very much grin

SarahLundsredJumper Sun 03-Jul-11 21:06:39

Tee have you seen how much poo those fish produce in a tiny little tank -grim

Tee2072 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:08:53

They aren't a tiny little tank. And I just had it done yesterday, no poo in sight.

Have you ever actually had it done or even seen it?

theyoungvisiter Sun 03-Jul-11 21:12:43

I worry about the water - do they change the water for every customer?

Cos if not, that's really ewwww... putting your feet in the same water as dozens of other women's sweaty feet have just gone into. Considering they have to sterilise all their instruments to avoid fungal infections it's also a bit bizarre.

But if they do change the water every time, it must be so unpleasant for the poor fish. Fish shouldn't be decanted every half hour - it must stress them horribly. And do they care for the fish properly? I mean they're beauty salons - not aquariums.

SarahLundsredJumper Sun 03-Jul-11 21:23:21

Tee I stood and watched a whole bunch of people having it done yesterday ! it wasnt swimming with dolphins thats for sure -the tanks were less than a metre long.
If you liked it fair enough - I think its awful

FunnysInTheGarden Sun 03-Jul-11 21:29:46

oh yuck. I saw some folk having it done on Friday and shuddered I tell thee.

If I had to I'd do it, but not out of choice. All those squiddly squirming fish about you feet............Yak Yak

SloganLogan Mon 04-Jul-11 18:58:41

It would be rude to just give it back, even with an explanation.

But if she asks you whether you've been, then it's fine to say you're sorry, but unfortunately you really don't like the thought of it.

MadreInglese Tue 05-Jul-11 18:18:59

It's not a beauty salon, it's a specific fish foot place so no chance of swapping it for something else

I've stood and watched people have it done (the tanks go right up to the window) and it's definitely not for me!

I might keep schtum for a little while and then if she asks I'll come clean and offer her it back so it doesn't go to waste

I don't think it's rude to give it back. If I were the giver, I'd be far happier if someone said 'that's really very kind of you but the thought of fish nibbling my feet freaks me out' than if I found out they'd pretended they'd had it done and re-gifted the voucher.

Isn't that ruder?

theyoungvisiter Tue 05-Jul-11 21:08:43

Oh shame!

Well, she obviously likes the idea - since she gave it to you - so I would regift it to her (honestly). Just say "look, I was so hugely touched that you thought of this, but to be honest, it's not my cup of tea. I would love for you to use it for yourself. It would mean much more to me to know that you had a lovely afternoon"

I think that's better than being dishonest (either by outright lies, or just by omission).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now