Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Estranged dad's funeral this week

(26 Posts)

I found out today that my dad died on Friday. We haven't spoken in ten years. He was an alcoholic and a depressive and died of emphysema.

My half sister has managed to track me down and apparently the funeral is being arranged this week.

I stopped contact with him for what I consider to be very good reasons, it was not a healthy relationship. He had pickled his brain with alcohol and was not the man that I like to think of as my father for many years before I severed contact.

Should I go? I have four half sisters who may or may not be there - all older, I have no idea how much contact he may have had with them in the last decade.

Feel free to ask for more details if you think they are relevant.

spiritwolf1 Thu 22-May-14 17:04:38

I have been asked to write a poem for my estranged father's funeral. I am having trouble finding the words to use that will not be offensive to his siblings that will be attending. None of them are aware of the abuse I suffered for 5 years before leaving home. It has been well over 25 years since I have seen him and have avoided many family functions that I knew he was attending, for fear of how I would react seeing him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now