what do you do with old knickers?

(52 Posts)
Iggleonk Wed 03-Nov-10 20:05:04

In the last 7 years it is fair to say my weight has fluctuated - got married (was thin), got pregnant, had baby, got pregnant again......you get the picture.

This has left me with a quandry - I have two bin bags full of knickers and bras that no longer fit that currently reside in the loft taking up space. I want to get rid of them but how?

Take them to the tip - don't fancy seeing my smalls flying about in front of the other people dropping off their rubbish.

Give them to a charity shop - do they want old knickers?

Leave them out for the bin men - & have them perv over my old thongs!

Answers on a postcard please.....

jpg Wed 03-Nov-10 20:05:50

burn them?

AnyFawker Wed 03-Nov-10 20:07:03

just put them in the bin

do you seriosuly think the dustbin men are interested in your old knickers ?

I am sure they have seen all manner of stuff grin

cyb Wed 03-Nov-10 20:07:54

second hand shop? Surely you jest....

Tidey Wed 03-Nov-10 20:09:22

Personally, I'd bin them. If they were in exceptionally good condition I'd consider one of those clothes recycling bins.

Pingpong Wed 03-Nov-10 20:09:47

Oxfam take old bras and send them abroad.
Knickers can go in clothes recycling bins (council/supermarket carparks etc) where they recycle the cloth/make rags etc.
Much better than putting them in the bin where they will just add to landfill.

Pingpong Wed 03-Nov-10 20:10:49

x post with Tidey clothes recycling bins take old tatty stuff with holes not just good stuff!

Tidey Wed 03-Nov-10 20:39:51

I know, but just in case anyone saw them, I wouldn't put really tatty stuff in! blush

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 03-Nov-10 20:43:31

Why not? Your tatty old knickers don't have your name, address and identifying photo of you on them, do they?

Personally, I tear up old clothes and use them as rags, knickers don't need tearing up first.

And bras...well, I don't know if this is universal but I was in some charity shops today and saw bras for sale. shock

GrimmaTheNome Wed 03-Nov-10 20:45:32

Chuck them. Unless they are really big cotton ones, in which case cut up for cleaning rags (the fate of DHs not-so-smalls)

Or unless you're Tracey Emin in which case you have perfect material for your next artwork.

MaMoTTaT Wed 03-Nov-10 20:45:35

if they're usually try your local woman's refuge and/or homeless shelter.

"Usable" underwear is one of the things that is on the list of things they need for both of those locally.

jamaisjedors Wed 03-Nov-10 20:45:47

Send the bras here

Please note they do not want knickers grin

nameymcnamechange Wed 03-Nov-10 20:46:05

Put them in the clothes recycling bank at Sainsbos. They get made into rags.

I have a charity bag full of sub-charity shop, worn/bobbly/torn clothes destined for those bins on the go at all times.

nameymcnamechange Wed 03-Nov-10 20:46:42

Don't put them in the bin! FGS!

herbgarden Wed 03-Nov-10 20:48:28

The recycle charity bins at our local tesco I saw mention "underwear" today - i personally couldn't imagine anyone wanting to wear my second hand pants (I usually throw away - if they're ready for the bin they're past their useful life) however if they're passable you could just bundle them up in a bag and shoot it in so no worries about your grey M&S undies being scattered around the tip.....

Milliways Wed 03-Nov-10 20:48:43

Our recycling doorstep collection takes old clothes for rags.

All our old bras went to Uganda with a colleague from work this Summer grin

BosomForAPillow Wed 03-Nov-10 20:49:57

2 bin bags full, wow!
I don't think all the knickers/bras I've ever owned would take up 2 bin bags.

The pre-school here collects worn out material for rags. Have put some of DH's old pants there.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 03-Nov-10 20:51:23

Bin them.

MaMoTTaT Wed 03-Nov-10 20:52:30

no no no DON'T bin them if they could still be used - PLEASE ring your local women's refuge and homeless shelters

FairyArmadillo Wed 03-Nov-10 20:56:10

I like donating my stuff to charity or to friends that need them. But not knickers. If I knew someone who desperately needed or couldn't afford knickers, I would buy/donate new knickers. Not my old ones. I'd personally find it a bit...ewwww...

Do you all have fecal incontinence problems? They are just knickers - presumably you've washed them? Don't be so wussy.

If worn out, knickers can be composted or made into rags.
If you bought them, wore them once, decided they were wedgie pants and just left them sat in the drawer for a year or so, what harm is there passing them on, via the charity shop or refuge.

Ditto bras, I have 30 bras, I wear four of them regularly. All of them cost over £20 each. Someone else could use them and would get good use out of them (particularly the 20 or so nursing bras).

Tidey Wed 03-Nov-10 21:01:32

I'd just like to clarify, most of my unwanted clothes goes to charity shoes or recycling bin, and I don't tend to wear anything to the point where it's falling to bits anyway. But if I did have anything really awful, I would bin it. Sorry if that makes me an awful person.

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 03-Nov-10 21:03:30

Sell them on Ebay. Lot of saddos out there with a lot of money that could be yourswink.

MaMoTTaT Wed 03-Nov-10 21:03:52

agree whoemoved.

Fairy - I bet if you were homeless or had escaped from an abusie relationship with nothing more than the clothes on your back you wouldn't really care who had worn the knickers you were offered to wear - so long as they had been washed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now