Novels with unexpected twists and reveals

(22 Posts)
ImperialBlether Sat 29-Oct-16 14:09:03

Not a TAAT, but the thread about Lisa Hall's Between You and Me made think of plot twists that I've really liked.

I did like the twist in Gone Girl, but when I think of Girl on a Train, I can't even remember whether it had a twist! What was it? I need more sleep!

MissAsippi Sat 29-Oct-16 14:14:46

Spoilers:

Girl on the train the twist was that all the stuff she was convinced she's done when she was drunk; smashing a picture frame with a golf club, falling over and hurting herself, harming the young missing woman, were done by her very abusive psycho husband, who we're all convinced throughout the book is a lovely guy smile it was very well written I thought smile

ImperialBlether Sat 29-Oct-16 14:17:14

Ohhh yes, of course. I really liked the film, more so than the book, which is unusual for me. I thought Emily Blunt was great in it.

gerbo Sat 29-Oct-16 14:19:17

Try Fingersmith by Sarah waters, a brilliant twist near the end which, when I read it in my hols, made me gasp and almost squeal with excitement. Such a gripping book.

ImperialBlether Sat 29-Oct-16 14:21:22

Oh Fingersmith was amazing! I gave it to my daughter to read afterwards, not telling her anything about it, and watched her read it, knowing she was coming to that point. She gasped and I knew she'd got there! Absolutely amazing.

Chinnygirl Sat 29-Oct-16 14:53:35

Placemarking for ideas. Sorry I can't think of a contribution.

ChessieFL Sat 29-Oct-16 14:55:33

I let you go. I really didn't see that twist coming.

ImperialBlether Sat 29-Oct-16 15:08:52

I was the same with I Let You Go - I knew something horrible was coming but didn't guess it.

Reading The Woman Next Door and losing the will to live. I reckon I know most of what will happen. I think that has to be the daftest plot going.

multivac Sat 29-Oct-16 15:14:06

We Need to Talk About Kevin; I didn't realise until she showed me...

Lorelei76 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:20:07

I read Kevin years ago, not sure what would be considered a twist...

Fingersmith is grand. I also think Affinity had a good twist.

ImperialBlether Sat 29-Oct-16 15:22:20

Sorry, multivac, what do you mean you didn't realise until she showed you?

Youfromthefuture Sat 29-Oct-16 15:40:53

Try Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. Did not see that one coming at all!!

dovesong Sat 29-Oct-16 15:42:53

Fingersmith and Affinity are both incredible! The twist at the end of Atonement was great (but made me cry).

Lorelei76 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:05:39

Oh and Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult, can't believe I didn't see it coming.

multivac Sat 29-Oct-16 16:17:49

The OP talked about twists and reveals. I didn't realise she was writing to a dead man.

viques Sat 29-Oct-16 16:25:43

Anyone else read We Are AllCompletely Beside Ourselves? I didn't see it, though a friend claims she guessed!

ImperialBlether Sat 29-Oct-16 16:33:29

Ohh okay, sorry, multivac!

MermaidofZennor Sat 29-Oct-16 18:26:52

A God In Ruins by Kate Atkinson. Quite a shocking twist.
We Were Liars by E Lockhart - really didn't see that one coming.
Atonement by Ian McEwan.

VestalVirgin Sat 29-Oct-16 21:42:51

Try Attolia1: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. The narrator never outright lies to us, but the twist at the end still took me completely by surprise.

catwrangler Sat 29-Oct-16 22:17:05

E.V. Greig's Bird Bright Shadows novella series is full of sudden twists! She's also ended each of them with a cliff-hanger so far. The last one Captain Mars was Book 4 and I really thought I knew where it was going for once, but nope, wrong again. So a cliff-hanger and a random plot twist all at once. Apparently Book 5 isn't out until December either thlenvy

Clawdy Sun 30-Oct-16 13:56:34

The Burning Air by Erin Kelly. I'm pretty good at spotting twists, but this one had me gasping aloud!

Roseformeplease Sun 30-Oct-16 13:59:32

The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks. Brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now